• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

soind and vibration from my front end

jrgilchrist

NAXJA Forum User
I need some help figuring out whats wrong with my xj, 98 140 000miles and stock,

There is a rough rolling sound comming from the front right of my jeep. When I accelerate it gets more noticable and when I let off of the gas it goes away. It seems as if it gets pretty loud at around 70 mph but I feel like it started gradualy so I can't remember what it's supposed to sound like. When I turn left I get a little bit of a restriction in forward movement as if there were avery slight breaking, this is only noticable at slow speeds.

let me know what you think.

john

Yeah...I know what your talking about. It might be a wheel bearing. I was told "if you stand in front of the wheel, facing the hub cap/rim, try and push towards the car then pull back towards you on the wheel. rock it back and forth a couple times. If you can feel the wheel rocking back then the wheel bearing is bad". You'll feel the play in it, kinda like the wheel isnt on tight. Thats what I was told. It worked for me. Good luck! -Shaun

Ball joints will do that too; but I usually check those with the thing jacked up.
Put hands at 12 & 6 o'clock on wheel and push/pull. Then put hands at 9 & 3 o'clock and do the same thing. SHould be no play. If there is, stick your head under there while pushing and pulling and see whats moving...

i will check that stuff out any idea what the cost of those issues would run? How big of a project would they be, I only have basic tools and no garage so I need some idea of what i would be getting myself into.

unit hubs are about $110 each and the only special tool you need is a 12 point 13mm socket and a 36 mm (I think) to pull the axle from the hub.

Back