• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Lockers?

PapaGeno21

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I know you all get a lot of these questions, but I cant find a direct answer anywhere on the net. So here goes.

I currently have this setup.

D30 with Aussie, TJ Shafts and 4.88's
Ford 8.8 with LSD and Disk brakes and 4.88's
35" Claws
It is my Daily Driver

And the list goes on, but thats all you really need to know for this part.

I want a rear locker. But since I have LSD, I cannot user that carrier, so no matter what locker I get, im going to have to get the gears reset again, so my guy is doing it cheap since he only has to set the backlash. However here is my dilemma.

I want a full case so here are my options. I dont want an OX

Detroit - I hear they are loud and bang a lot on the road
ARB - I hear sometime they break air lines?
Eaton E-Locker - I havent heard much.

Detroit - 550
ARB - 710 + 200 For Compressor
E-Locker - 680

Now eventually before winter im getting a selectable for the front as well, which is why im leaning twords ARB, becuase I will already be set up with the OBA and Compressor.

What are your suggestions?

Maybe it's just a NW thing, but all I've heard is bad things about the ARB. So no personal experience, except for I've been running a detroit for 2 years, and they aren't noisy at all in the rear... front, probably different, but in the rear, mine's been tame as can be. Since you seem to be concerned about cost, I would choose detroit over ARB, but I'm sure the ARB is a great locker.

I've met people that run dual ARB's, and people that run dual Detroits. They seem to talk crap on the other style locker. It just really depends on personal experience and/or experience of your close buddies. I think a a detroit in front would probably be loud and noisy, but in the rear, it's totally tame, IMO.

I have a buddy with a Detroit in the rear, he said it "Unloads" around turns. He said since I am not a fan of noise, that it isnt my best bet.

Also, ARB's I get mixed reviews.. I cant tell which to do with it to be honest.

Anyone know anything about the Eaton E-Locker?

adamusmc2002 said:
Maybe it's just a NW thing, but all I've heard is bad things about the ARB. So no personal experience, except for I've been running a detroit for 2 years, and they aren't noisy at all in the rear... front, probably different, but in the rear, mine's been tame as can be. Since you seem to be concerned about cost, I would choose detroit over ARB, but I'm sure the ARB is a great locker.

I've met people that run dual ARB's, and people that run dual Detroits. They seem to talk crap on the other style locker. It just really depends on personal experience and/or experience of your close buddies. I think a a detroit in front would probably be loud and noisy, but in the rear, it's totally tame, IMO.

X2, have a detroit in my rear, its my dd.The newer ones aren't as loud as the older style.Never been a problem for me.Although for the front i'm still planning on a selectable, or a detroit w/ warn hubs.

Sean

Not very often do you see a triple post, nice!

No but really, my friend has an OX and the cable siezed.

Then I dont like where the cable goes in, right where you can rip it off with a rock.

I've run a Detroit in the back for 10+ years without issue. Yes, you have to modify your driving style a bit but once you learn how it locks and unlocks, it's a non-issue. If you plan on spending a lot of time in snow/ice then a selectable might be better. ARB is a good choice. Most of the issues I've seen with failures is poor installation/routing of air lines.

I live in Rhode Island, so we get a LOT of snow and ice.

No matter what, im doing selectable in front, I dont liek the way my Aussie in the front works when driving the snow.

Back though, I really dont care I dont need selectability.

I just got turned off from the Detroit because I heard it was VERY loud and makes lots of bangs and such.

My Detroit is quiet and very seldom makes any pops or bangs. In a SWB like the Wranger, it's a bit more quirky than in our longer XJ's. But again, you have to tailor your driving style a bit. Each one has it's advantages and disadvantages. If on road driveability is real important, then a selectable is the way to go. If off road simplicity/reliability is more important, then I like the Detriot.

Well the thing is, I make tight turns a lot in my truck, I mean I can only go to a certain extent with the tightness, before my 35's hit the LCAs..

I dont know, I just have never been in a rig with any Detroit or anything, so it really makes the decision Hard..

about the ox..well the cable can be set in any way..they work awesome...if set rigth..i think they are better than arb..i just dont like arb..

Back