• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering stabilizer increase resistance

ChipsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
how much does the steering stabilizer influence the resistance felt in steering?

In my 93 XJ 4.0 auto the steering has some firm resistance, not hard or anything, just a firm controlled feel to it.

In our other 2 1992 XJs the steering does not have this resistance. Nothing feels loose or anything like that, it is just kind of loose or extremley easy to turn back and forth.....a kind of 'not' controlled feel.....hard to explain.

would a new steering stabilizer increase the resistance felt at the wheel or what controls this resistance ?

Also, when it is cold, the steering wheel 'slips' or turns a little without turning the wheels until it warms up. I am guessing that it has something to do with the cold fluid. It occurs in all 3 of our jeeps in the winter. I replaced the steering gear box but that did not help.

Is the power steering pump responsible for both issues?

Thanks

Turn the Steering Wheel from full Left Lock to full Right Lock and count how many turns in between. Different ratios would indicate different steering boxes, which often have different amounts of assist, as well the different ratios mean different mechanical advantage that would be different force required for the same amount of motion, if all other things are equal. i.e. maybe the '93 has a quick ratio steering box and the 2 '92's have regular ratio steering boxes.

Of course, maybe the '92's have more wear in the system, different size tires can make a difference, even different tires of the same size.

I've seen several posts on here stating that there was no difference in the resistance with the damper on or off, so I doubt the shock on the steering makes the difference in resistance.

Last edited:
Back