• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok - I'm stupid - Underhood light on 2001XJ

FastFreddy4

NAXJA Forum User
ok -the under hood light on my 2001 XJ has never worked since I got it. I've grabed the thing a wiggled it - and tried (by hand) to get the lens off to replace the bulb... but I can't get it apart and I don't want to break it.... so what's the trick to getting it apart to check it out? Just want a little light under the hood if possible... I mean its there - it might as well work.

here's what it looks like...
100_3155.jpg

I've looked through the owners manual as well as my service manual and got nothing.

Thanks in advance!
Fred

I think you might have to replace the whole light assembly if its not working....I dont it comes apart so that you can replace just the bulb, but I could be mistaken.

Carmax fixed mine when I got it, and I believe they repalce the whole thing. I have since unplugged it though, as knowing my luck the stupid would probably stay on even when the hood is closed and drain my battery

You don't need to replace the whole thing, you can just pop the cover off with a small flathead, and the bulb you need has loops on the end.

That's absurd if it's true.

I'm guessing the lense is just snapped in......

If you break the lense, oh well......juse no lense. The Older XJ's didn't have lenses over these lights.

Or if for some reason it IS infact true that you must replace the entire thing......just cut the wires, get another hood light from another vehicle at the junkyard and splice it in.

If you look around the sides of the lens cover, you'll see 4 tiny slots. Stick a small screwdriver in a slot and twist. You might have to go to another slot to get it completely off.

As stated, the bulb has two loops that attach to a stretch type socket. Poor design as it is, that's also what causes the light generally to be flaky. The contacts corrode since they are brass and the bulb keeps things pretty tight so there isn't enough movement to keep the contacts clean.

Try some dieelectric grease on the contacts after cleaning them well. It won't keep the contacts 100%, but sure helps.

I replaced mine last summer. Sylvania lamp number 561. One of the corners broke when i tired taking it off. But it still is secure with three snaps left.

Mine works only intermittently. The contacts corrode easily. Before replacing the bulb, clean the contacts and wiggle it around a little to see if it blinks on. It's a lousy design compared to the nifty magnetic retractable one the early XJ's had.

Just pull the cover off with your fingers, there should be no need to mess around with tools and risk breaking it. My cover just comes off with a little tug. I have a 2001 Sport, I just went outside and took it off to be sure.

The lens cover has 4 hooks that attach 1 at each corner. The easiest way I've found to get the cover off is by squeezing the center of plastic housing on the long sides just beneath the lens. The plastic is flexible and will bend inward enough to allow you a good pull at removing the lens by hand.
What you don't want to do is to try and pry up along the corners of the lens. You'll probably break the lens since that's where the hooks are.
Let me know how it works for you. :thumbup:

Ok - got it fixed. I went to the Sylvania light site and it said the Jeep required a 105 bulb. Next went out to the garage and squeezed the sides of the housing an pulled by hand at the top of the lens and it popped off... the bulb was definitely fried... even looked cracked. So off to Advanced Auto... they looked it up and confirmed I needed a 105 bulb - found the package and it wasn't even close to the right shape or type bulb. Ended up being a #561 bulb. Plugged right in a viola - its working. Cleaned the lens and I'm in business. Thanks everyone.

FF

Back