• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Zero voltage - Dead at idle

TerryDean

NAXJA Forum User
Two weeks ago, out of nowhere, my battery died while I was driving - to the point that my truck died. If I put it on jumper cables it would only run if I kept my foot in the gas, as soon as I let it go to idle it dies. I replaced that crappy old spark-o-matic battery with a GM Goodwrench. The truck worked fine for a week but then last week the problems returned. Once I start I get a full voltage reading but almost immediatly after starting down the road the voltage will drop to zero. This morning the battery finally gave up I think - I'm back to only being able to keep it running at 1000+ RPM.

Last time I removed the alternator to have it tested only to find out that NOBODY around here has that simple 2prong harness to test this alternator with. I have read recommendations for testing on this page but I'm now broke and my hand held voltage meeter is broken.

I have read through previous posts and verified some ideas - my belt is fine, my AC is turning apparently freely and I have replaced the battery clamps, though not the whole wire.

I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0L

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! I NEED TO GET TO WORK TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD FIXING THE JEEP!!!!!

Sounds like a bad alternator. Basically your running on battery till it's low enough that it wont keep the Jeeps electrical system operating...then dies.

What sucks is that Autozone, O'Riley nor ABC Auto in my area carry that little 2 wire harness to test this alternator. I think there may be an actual alternator shop in the next town though.

Oh well - looks like it's time to find money for an alternator. Around $200 should hopefully get it. I wonder how much change is in the couch....

If you have no test tools there is a surefire way to test it. Start the Jeep and then remove the negative wire from the battery. That way the alternator has to power the ignition. If it stays running, the alt. is working at least to a point. If it dies, you know your alt. is not putting out.
Good luck.
Dave

I think I may just sell my body for crack, then pay a crackhead to go steal me an alternator....and some new cables. Or maybe I could make my own alternator. It's just some copper wire and a couple of magnets - right? I've got a dremel, some duct tape and some old lawn mower parts. I'll bet that I can rig something up.

TerryDean said:
I think I may just sell my body for crack, then pay a crackhead to go steal me an alternator....and some new cables. Or maybe I could make my own alternator. It's just some copper wire and a couple of magnets - right? I've got a dremel, some duct tape and some old lawn mower parts. I'll bet that I can rig something up.
Before you become a crack whore, try a pick and pull yard. Electrical parts are not my favorite things to buy used, but at least they'll give you another if you pull a bad one. Try to find one off a truck with accident damage, then you know it was at least running when it got hit, instead of sitting in someone's backyard for 10 years. I think the yards by us charge about $25-$35 for alternators. Good Luck!

I think some of the grand cherokee's had a higher amp one that will bolt up. You'll have to do a search though. I know I saw it on here.

Back