• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubbing Noise

Crusher16

RRC President
NAXJA Member
I have a rubbing noise comming from the front drivers side wheel well. I believe it is the spring rubbing against the body? Is this a common problem? If so, is it an easy fix?

Stock suspension on a 1991 Cherokee.

I have searched, and haven't found anything pertaining to this.

Anybody?

Mambeu said:
Under what circumstances do you hear/feel the rubbing? When you're turning? When the suspension is flexed out? Can you describe the noise more specifically?

It usualy was just when I'm stopping down an incline, but now its doing it whenever I start stopping and turning.

I have taken the wheel off and look at the wheel well, next to the spring and noticed that the spring is touching the frame. How do I fix this?

Crusher16 said:
I have taken the wheel off and look at the wheel well, next to the spring and noticed that the spring is touching the frame. How do I fix this?
Check the bottom of the spring, and make sure that it's seated properly in the groove in the coil bucket. Maybe check your alignment too; I know lifted XJs often have front axles that aren't properly centered (due to trackbar issues), but I don't know if that could happen on stock suspension. That's all I can think of; maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in.

I'll probably take it to get aligned sometime this week (over due for one). I'll check the bottom of the spring too. Thanks for the help.

I jacked the front end up (Not by axle) took a picture of something interesting.

rub.jpg

Back