• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i want to shoot him!

xj joey

NAXJA Forum User
whoever designed the rear upper shock mounts on the xj should be shot in his pecker. my lift kit bent my damn shock and now i cant get it tight. how do u get to the bolts with out cutting a hole in the floor of my jeep?:helpme:

You should be able to get to the bolts. If the shock is bent, try taking the lower bolt loose first, then move the shock body around to help you gain access to the uppers. Yes, they are a royal PITA, especially if you're running a gay set of shock boots, but you've gotta do it to change them out, so complaining about it is only going to get you that much more aggravated. The rear shock upper bolts were rusted inplace on my wife's 2000 model, and the bolts snapped when I tried removing them. I took up the carpet in the rear, measured where the shocks were, and cut an access hole over each one to drill them out. Yes, it sucked, but I full well expected it to happen, so I remained calm and got the job done. Afterward, I cut a couple of pieces of sheet metal bigger than the access holes I'd made, and siliconed and riveted them in place. Now if I ever need to go back in there, it won't be so bad.

thats what i was trying to avoid. there are bolts coming out of the body that i had nuts on but cant get a wrench on the bolts in the body so that i can install the new shock. dont know how they guy did it that put the lift on for me.

xj joey said:
whoever designed the rear upper shock mounts on the xj should be shot in his pecker.

that is some funny sh*t right there :):roflmao:

Well, more than likely someone's already been in there and cut the floor over the shocks. It's just that simple. Pull the carpet up, and get a friend to help you out by turning the bolts from the top while you hold the nuts from the underside (insert dirty-mided jokes here at any time-LOL).

The other option is to find a set of steel bar pin eliminators and have somebody weld them in place. Then you will never have to worry about that again. I want to say RockKrawler BPEs are steel. Just sand away the powder coat, line up the holes (with broken bolt if they are in therem, and weld away. A shop would probably not charge but a few $10s to do the welding.

My bolts broke off when I tried to remove the rear shocks. I wound up using an impact hammer to knock three of the welded nuts off. The fourth one I had to drill bigger and bigger and bigger until the welded nut was gone. Once I did that I was able to use the old nut-taped-onto-an-open-end-wrench trick to feed brand new grade8 hardware into it. Wasn't too hard once I got the welded nuts off.

the floor has not been cut open yet and was trying to keep from doing that. i hammered a big flat head screwdriver in there to keep the bolt from moving but it kept spinning. but the guy that designed it should atleast be kicked in the nuts. :bs:

I have always been able to get a combination wrench on them. I've never had to cut the floor.

Another tip. Weld a bead on the head of the bolt before you ever try to loosen them. The heat will let her come right out.

Lol....this thread popped up at the bottom as a related link. I didn't realize it was so old. Sorry for reviving it.

Back