• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear wheel removal

mccastlej

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I've tried most things to try to get my steel wheels of the back of my XJ. Prybar, hammer, 2x6, and even slightly loosening the lug nuts and driving it. I applied 3 in 1 oil where it's stuck on the axle, did some tight turns, drove while swerving back and forth, going over bumps, almost doing doughnuts with the lugs loose. Nothing has worked so far. Anyone else have any good suggestions?

sledge hammer.

happened to me. tried to get it off, but it wouldnt budge, used a torch a hammer a 7 foot pipe, nothing worked.

grabbed my sledge and the thing came off in about 5 light wacks.

Use the biggest sledge you have, all the muscle you have, and remember to freaking grease the contact points next time and studs. Maybe try calling out some friends for being wuss' and get them to wack at it while you take a breather.

Another vote for the PB blaster, it may smell like goat piss, but it sure does work. Just use alot of it and let it sit for a while.

I just used some AeroKroil on it. I'll let it sit till I get outta work, and I'll drive on it some more with loosened lugnuts. I hope it works, it looks funny with 235s on the front and 205s on the back. Maybe I should find some dirt and drop it into 4WD and see if it helps spin them some on the axle?

Put it on jack stands, have someone rotate the tire while you hit the inside of the rim with a sledge. In effect with the rim rotating, you'll be hitting it all the way around. (does this make sense- hope I worded that right) Always been able to get them off this way...

Use brake clean on the studs after using any penetrating oil though, don't want that on there or else your lugnuts might loosen up when you don't want them to.

Here's another way. If the vehicle is running and the brakes work, loosen the wheel lugs a little, just enough to unseat the tapers in the wheel. Then get going down the driveway, street, or whatever, and hit the brakes hard. The wheel will rotate and pop loose.

The problem with that is my back brakes need replacement as they aren't doing much, but I'll try it anyhow. I hope I don't loose to much rust when I do it though. I can't spare much rust.:flipoff:

no offense, but having worked in several different shops, i've been around my fair share of "wheels that won't come off". if they won't come off, it just means that you aren't hitting hard enough. having the car on the hoist gives you the advantage of being able to hang on to the frame/crossmember with both arms, and use your whole body weight to kick the tire with both feet. LOL on the ground, grab the biggest and longest sledge hammer you can find, and golf swing that thing off of there. there are some things that you don't have to baby. solid steel is one of those things. so get back out there and wail on it.

Back