• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting a bumper plz help

miketyson

NAXJA Forum User
I need to paint a bumper i have and would like to get it done right the first time.

I am looking for the most durable/lasting paint you can get preferably in a rattlecan & black finish (preferably flat black). I'm pretty much looking for an alternative to powdercoating.

products i'm considering:
duplicolor truck bed coating -have heard good and bad
rustoleum hammered (would like to see pics cause of wierd looking finish)
herc/linex/bedliners - trying to stay away from the noslip/textured look
Tractor enamel- dont know much about it

thanks in advance, all recomendations appreciated

Id go with the Rustoleum Hammered paint. Its tough, last long, and you can paint over rust. No need for primer either before laying it down. If you get rash, just pull out the can and go over it again.

Here is my front bumper with the black.

100_2393.jpg

I painted my bumpers, rockers and many other parts with DupliColor Truck Bed Coating. It comes in a spray can for about $8. You can pick it up at Advance or other A/P retailers. It gives you a tough, grainy finish, and it's easy to touch up because it blends very nicely.

One can should do your bumper. Spray it on in several coats, and make the final coat very light by holding the can about a foot away. That'll give you a really nice pebble-grain finish.

WARNING: Once you use it, you'll want to spray it on everything!

I am not trying to be a dick but I hate rustoleum flat black. I think it sprays like dong and it dripped off the nozle and fubard my bumper. Anywho beware and pay attention
P.S. I used some cheap flat black hd desighns or some snatch like that from smiths

slcpunk74 said:
I am not trying to be a dick but I hate rustoleum flat black. I think it sprays like dong and it dripped off the nozle and fubard my bumper. Anywho beware and pay attention
P.S. I used some cheap flat black hd desighns or some snatch like that from smiths

I used Rustoleum Satin/Flat Black and I know what you mean about the nozzle drippage but other than that I think it is a very good paint for how cheap it is. Using that as a topcoat on top of POR-15 and you are good for a loooooong time.

Rather than Rustoleum hammered finish, use Hammerite hammered finish. It was the original and is much tougher. It also stabilizes rust much better.

I've had Rhino lined bumpers before and it sucked. You are better off going with any type of paint than you are with any textured stuff/beadliner stuff. I now spray all my bumpers and sliders with auto paint that you mix (paint, hardner, and reducer) and spray on with a touch up gun. The primer is an epoxy primer that really sticks good to clean metal. The top coat is a single stage simi-gloss. I realize that this isn't for everyone but if you give the bumper a good, thorough cleaning and de-greasing, then prime and paint, you should be good with whatever you use.

The method I use on my own stuff has worked out really well and not a lot of $$$. PREP PREP PREP...yeah that's a given. Scuff everything up with 200 grit, wipe down with xylene,acetone,lacquer thinner or any other solvent that doesn't leave a residue. Then spray with metal etching (also called self-etching) primer, then either Hammered finish or semi-gloss black. The etching primer performs 10X better than standard primer, just follow the directions and use several very light coats.

Back