• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone's xj's eat steering stabilizers?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I keep going through steering stabilizers on my jeep!, I have been using Monroe parts I'm going on my 4th replacement (under warranty). It gets very hard to turn the wheels and very hard to keep in a straight line. They just stiffen up. no leaks either.:wow: Ideas?

I haven't yet, Its only purpose is took absorb some of the rough road manners right? How is it for wheelin offroad without?

x2 no stabilizer--noticed no change.

You need to find out whats causing the issues.

OH yea like PHX said find the cause. Because that should not happen. I put my xj thru. some pretty rough stuff with 33" tires never had that problem ever.:confused1

if it's lifted, do you have any radical angles? could something be contacting the stabilizer? as said above, it should not just be failing, unless you've got the black cloud of misfortune over your head and have purchased 4 bad units straight from the mfr...

Is the geometry off somehow that it over-extends or crushes the shock at full turn of the steering wheel?

Next time you install one, with the shock off, turn the steering wheel full left and right and line up the shock with its mounting holes. If the distance between the mount holes are longer or shorter than the shock at max/min extension, you've found your problem. Something is wrong with the geometry of the steering links to cause that. Pitman arm NOT installed properly?

The steering knuckles have a little bolt that limits the max amount of turn for the wheel, if those are broken off or bent up, that would be a big clue as well.

bcmaxx said:
I keep going through steering stabilizers on my jeep!, I have been using Monroe parts I'm going on my 4th replacement (under warranty). It gets very hard to turn the wheels and very hard to keep in a straight line. They just stiffen up. no leaks either.:wow: Ideas?

Ever think of changing brands? :laugh3:

It could possibly be a angle thing, I'm running at 5 inches lift with stock control arms. I have new adjustable upper and lower c/ arms and 4:10 axles to install soon, I'll just without until I install the "package". Thanks for your help

as a rule of thumb, don't arbitrarily go replacing parts until you know why they failed. failure analysis can be your friend, it's no longer just the behavior of us anally retentive or obsessive compulsive persons...

Somehow you've got to be bending these things. Its just a shock, and chances are, if they were going bad they would compress very easily not "stiffen up". Loosing there gas and or oil charge would cause the opposite of what you're describing

Back