• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Royal Purple?

TunaSoda

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, my 92 XJ currently has 180,000 miles on it, if I replace all the engine gaskets, is there any downside to switching it over to synthetic motor oil?
(royal purple)

you dont have to change any thing.except the oil. i run "Q" same thing i have 130,000 mi have no prob. on my 4th change. no leaks-no problems better gas milage,longer between changes-what more could you ask for?

you'll hear your lifters tap a little more....lol...ok, so i did....

but no leaks!

I used to run RP, but there was too much out there on the NET concerning them. I run Mobil-1 10w30 now. engine runs N.O.T. all year round. I am happy.

If you currently have an oil leak - expect it to get a little larger. Synthetic oil will clean out whatever is masking a leak and such and therefore you might notice it leaking more.

However if you replace your gaskets, etc, you won't notice a thing.

If you are leak free in the first place - you probably won't notice anything either. Unless there's a leak about to happen, which will show it's ugly face when the sludge is cleaned away by the synthetic oil.

Hmm, I guess I will run it and see what happens :D

RP made my 4.0 run cooler, and it idles much smoother now. i love this stuff. plus i know if im leaking oil cause im the only one leaving purple spots in the driveway :D

I switched to Mobil1 in a V6 Mini-Van w/ 180k miles. I did notice the oil pan that was a little gunky went to a little more wet. Still no drips.

Synthetic flows more easily than equal viscosity conventional oil. As well, synthetic has "Polar" molecules, that cling to the metal and coat it.

So if you have a leak, synthetic may leak a little more thru the same leak. Most people don't have a problem and you can switch back easily.

I've been running Valvoline high mileage for a while. Does anybody know if the high mileage stuff is any better than regular synthetic?

I think its available in both non and synthetic blend. I've been using it without the synthetic blend but Monday I did an oil change and found out the Valvoline maxlife I was using this time was a synthetic blend.

Well, this time I noticed the "synthetic blend" on the bottle actually. I never payed attention before...

It's also "high mileage" oil and such..

maxlife. That's the stuff. I just knew it was for high mileage engines. I just don't know if it's any better than regular oil (synthetic or traditional)

Well, got the XJ changed over to Royal Purple this past Friday, what a difference!

It really does run smoother, and has a little more pep to it :D

I may be switching to Royal Purple, its PAO oil correct? As well, can't you find it for about $4.50 a quart like Mobil1 costs?

I was sold on Mobil1, but I've heard rumors that they switched to the hydrocracked crude base like Castrol and all the others have done with their Synthetics, since the profit margin is so great.

The last 5 qt jug of Mobil1 I bought, the color looked different, instead of the normal yellow fluid, it was now a darker brownish yellow, like Castrol's Syntec. I may have bought the extended oil change Mobil1, maybe thats why it looked different, a different additive package. But I do worry the rumors I've heard are true. Mobil1 couldn't keep up selling Real Synthetic at a small profit margin while all the others were selling fake Synthetic at a huge profit margin, they had to follow the industry.

Rick Anderson said:
I may be switching to Royal Purple, its PAO oil correct?
I believe so

Rick Anderson said:
As well, can't you find it for about $4.50 a quart like Mobil1 costs?
Mine was like $6.50 a qt.

Rick Anderson said:
I was sold on Mobil1, but I've heard rumors that they switched to the hydrocracked crude base like Castrol and all the others have done with their Synthetics, since the profit margin is so great.
I believe Mobil1 is no longer a true full synthetic :(

TunaSoda said:
Well, got the XJ changed over to Royal Purple this past Friday, what a difference!

It really does run smoother, and has a little more pep to it :D

It better for 7 bucks a quart. No offence but I think that its a gimmic. My car always runs better when I change the oil with anything! You are changing your oil cause its old and worn out! Anyhow the valvoline max life is cheap and great. Its semi synthetic and everybit as good as RP.

Aren't there two versions of Valvoline max life?

The last oil change I did, I didn't notice that it was a synthetic blend. When I did an oil change last week, I noticed the bottle said "synthetic blend"

New label, or what? Has it always been a synthetic blend?

Back