• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case rotational noise

fspell220

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 4x4 cherokee w/ 4.0 and aw4. Just the other day it started to make a churning noise,pretty loud. I thought it might be a wheel bearing or something. Listened a little closer and it was coming from my transfer case. I tryed a search and didn't come up with anything that resembled this problem. I know there is a chain in the transfer case, is it possible that the chain has stretched and is making contact with something else. Oh yeh, if it helps it's a part time transfer case. Any knowledge on this will be greatly appreciated.

I had a rotational noise that ended up being my front output shaft bearing was disintegrated. Thus, there was a lot of slop in the shaft itself, leading the chain to have way too much slack in it. Who knows what was causing the noise, but the chain was still ok when I pulled it apart.

If you split the case from the back, you can get to the front shaft without taking the TC off the jeep. how's your fluid look in your TC?

It looks really brown. I tryed to check it but I can't get the fill plug out. I even got a cape chisel and hammer and tried to knock it loose but couldn't. I ended up just adding a little fluid in through the hole where the speedometer gear goes, but it didn't help. Would the bearing likely go out before the chain would? And if it is the bearing where could I get just the bearings at because I don't really want to put any money into it. The 4x4 works great on it so I don't see any sense in it, I just want to stop that noise. Thanks in advance.

Just had my chain replaced yesterday,while it was out I noticed the fron output bearing was feeling pretty rough, so I had new one put in, the chain was definately stretched but not hitting the case yet, oh and if you have a 242 with a hack and tap, make sure your mechanic installs the retaining washer before the sye flange goes on!, It was not fun lying in the rain and a puddle of atf wondering why is my driveshaft laying in the mud?

Back