• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

re-gear

MountainRhino

NAXJA Forum User
HELP, i need some education

remember how driving a five speed was easier the first time if you had someone show u and explain how to mix the clutch and gas. most people with decent mechanical know how and hand foot coordination could figure it out in a matter of minutes.
well i pulled the rear end out of my old exploder and found that it did still have the gar tag on the cover......it was a damn 3.27
I have at least mechanical common sense if nothing else, is there any easy way to teach someone how to regear a rear end?? i need to do this myself if at all possible. if not i have to buy the one i need for $300

Last edited:
Setting up a rear end yourself is possible, but very tedious work. Plan the better part of a day if you've never done it before. $300.00 for a good used one to me sounds like a better deal though, If you factor in the costs of a new gear set, install kit, and misc. tools that you'll need. Not sure what year your explorer was, but if you find a later model, they were available with limited slip and disk brakes. If yours doesn't, I would go for a different rear end... Much better upgrade.

Back