• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! chassis electrical and transmission

toecutter

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I have an 89 XJ and a few problems I just can't find the information for. Mine has the underhood lamp, which decided one day it was going to find ground and burned a fuse/fusable link somewhere. Unfortunately, this also took my power seats, rear window heater (not that I use it much) with it. I've spent a few hours chasing things down with the ohm meter, and have only been able to determine that the lamp, seats, and window warmer are on the same circuit. Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Also, while chasing this down last night with a friend, we monkeyed with something, and now the transmission is acting up. It's a 4x4 with the 4 full, part-time, and low part-time transfer case. and a 1-2, 3 and overdrive (4speed?) However, the problem it has developed is strange. If put in drive it's very sluggish off the line, but if I manually shift it down into 1-2 it takes off like normal, and then needs to be worked through the gears. In overdrive, the revs stay kinda high (about 2.5K @ 65 vs the normal 2.1K @ 75). I already checked the trans fluid (which hasn't been replaced recently, but level is OK). I recalibrated the kickdown (as is documented in the chilton manual) It uses the one with the button, and the cable.

Any suggestions?

Well I dont know where all you poked around but you could have knocked loose a connection for the TCM. Its under the passenger side dash. And those stupid ass big bulky under hood lights are not worth there weight in poop!

You could have burnt the fuses to the TCU. There is one right down by the TCU, and there is a tranny fuse in the fuse block. I'd check both of these. There is also supposed to be always hot power to the TCU, but I'm not sure what pin it's supposed to be on.

The TCU was the primary suspect. Now that I think about it, there was a fuse I was fiddling with on that side trying to figure out what it did. I think I put it back, but who knows what could have been messed up as a result. I know most of the under-dash circuitry is kept powered by the fuse marked "rwire" next to the chime module. I already checked that a few times and it tested good. I'll fiddle with that other fuse, if not, I'll hit the junk yard and grab another TCU and see if that does it.

Any suggestions on the fusible link?

Well, looks like you were right. After locating the fuse holder, the 10a fuse was sitting on the floor just underneath it on the passenger side. That's one mystery solved.

unplug your light and see if you have continuity on the two points of the light itself... make sure you take the bulb out first... continuity if you dont know is a continuous path this means that there would be a short in the light itself thats were i would start

Back