• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering RE 4.5"

EMSJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I have seen yes, no and everything in between. Going up 4.5" and want to do it right the first time around on the RE superflex with full springs. It comes with the track bar but not the "heavy duty" one that has a relocation bracket.
1)Is it too short to go with the high steering knuckle and replace the tie rod and drag link to match? I am really starting to shy away from the drop pitman arm, though RE says you need it (or something) for 3.5"+.
2)Should I just get the "heavy duty" track bar so I can get the shiny and cool relocation bracket to go with it, or would both of these things be completely overbuilding a 4.5" lift?

On the list so far is:
RE 4.5" Superflex (full rear leaf) (not going to use the 3/4" TC drop)
CV/SYE with a driveshaft
CA drop brackets with unibody tie in supports
RE Shocks and steering stabilizer
4* shims (to try)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Overbuilding? LOL...no such thing!

WHy are you shying away from a drop pitman arm? Just don't go too extreme, you want one that will put your drag link at the same angle (or very close to the angle) as your trackbar.

I have the RE 4.5 kit and the 1600 trackbar no drop pitman arm and the angles are good. I've had no problems with the steering as of yet. I would recommend the upgraded trackbar as the 1600 has a tendency to loosen up and clunk if you aren't perfect with the drilling of the new hole. Also alot of builders and suck don't like using heim joints as much as the superflex/johnny joint

Right now, at this very moment I could go one of two ways. 1) Teraflex HSK and open that can of worms and get their drag link and tie rods, or 2) go with the currie drag link/tie rod bolt in kit and hope all the angles work out fine. Mind you, I do not want to have to learn how to weld for this project. Or I suppose I can keep the stock components as well but what fun would that be...theres someting to be said about doing it right the first time...
I could also get the drop pitman arm (or at least order one to have on hand if the geometry turns out bad) and go with the Currie setup...what do we think about that?

PS. Overbuilding? maybe not, overbuilding your budget...yes...but I think I crossed that line about a week ago
anyhow...

What is the necessity and function of the HD track bar drop bracket? is it necessary, optional?

(How wonderful are those IPF H4 upgrades with the fatboys! wow...I also have the Hawk pads and powerslot crossdrilled rotors on the way!)

Last edited:
you have a good list going...i've been running 4.5" for a couple years now. used a combo of OME springs/spacers, etc.

my .02 here:

1) imho you don't need to go high steer at 4.5". i have stock steering w/ no probs. if anything go with the Currie heavy-duty steering setup for peace of mind. a little overkill, but i like knowing i have something solid up there :)

2) do the RE 1660 w/ 1665 mount - easy and very beefy. a note about this..the poly bushing RE supplies with this kit on the axle side is poor quality - it is "mushy" and allows the track bar to move horizontally. i ended up getting a bushing from these guys "http://www.suspension.com/homepage.htm" and it solved the prob, but it was not the exact size so i had to sand it down some. you'll need access to a belt sander or grinder to do it right. you'll have to call them with the size dimensions (down to .000). guy there named Bruce was very helpful finding what i needed. also they were adding more sizes so may have something that will fit now w/o the trimming work. i still have a spare laying around, so if you need the dimensions for it PM me.

3) yes, stay away from TC drops - they stress the TC linkage (bad joo-joo). personally i used the RE "hack-n-tap" 3 years ago and it is still fine. if you go that route you'll need a steady hand...so be sober and dont invite beer drinking friends over - lol.

4) you'll need to extend your rear bump stops or you will quickly induce sag in your new leafs (due to over-compression). personally, i used box tube and extended bolts and found an extended bump stop thru Quadratec. i got a net 3.5" of extension this way.

just saw your new post..

1) yes, you have to get the RE 1665 with the 1660. the 1660 has a super-flex joint on the body end and the 1665 is designed to accept it.

2) as i mentioned i have the Currie steering. angles are same as stock. works 100% with stock pitman arm - no bumpsteer.

Get the HD trackbar, go over the knuckle, use a drop pitman arm, and get a steering box brace. When you lift it more (not if because everyone does eventually) you will already have the right parts.

The IPF headlights and fatboys are great I'm making my own harness now so they can be even better!! The cutoff on the lamps makes them easy to aim and I've almost never gotten flashed cause the cutoff is great. You will also like the powerslot pads and rotors. Ive been through 1 set of pads already and the rotors have almost no signs of rust even a friend was impressed by how good they look even after almost 2 years

If you're getting the control arm drop brackets, just get the RE6200 kit and have whomever you're ordering it through swap you to the shorter springs (no cost to do this). It may be cheaper than getting the 6130 kit and adding the HD trackbar upgrade and the drop bracket kit, depending on what deals the vendor is offering with the 6200 kit.

Definitely upgrade to the HD trackbar if you go with the 6130 kit though.

As far as the steering goes, you should be fine with a stock setup. Definitely no need for a drop pitman arm, and it'll likely only cause bumpsteer if you get one. For a pure bolt-on cross-over steering upgrade, check out the U-Turn kit from OffRoadOnly. I've been running it on my XJ for a few years now, and it's been a popular product for us. Otherwise I'd probably either just stick with the factory draglink and do something like a BigDaddy or JKS tierod, or get the Currie steering kit.

Yeah, I already ordered the kit, I'll see if I can return the regular duty bar for some refund, I ordered the HD one with the bracket and the unibody stiffiner. Now all I need is maybe the steering upgrade and the winch and it looks like I'm done blowing money:clap: ! Thanks for all the help, keep opinions on the steering coming, I'm going to wait a few more days before I decide on ordering that.
Alex

Back