• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emiss warning light?

KYFHOMS22

NAXJA Forum User
When the emission warning light on my 90 pioneer auto shows, what exactly am I suposed to check? the O2 sensor? egr? my 89 pioneer stick never had this light, both are 4.0s... How does this light get reset? there is a clear emissions timer box under the dash but I know nothing about it, this is my first automatic... Also wheres the cps on a stick? drivers side or passenger side? I need to get a manual!
Also, my parent's 95 with aw4 had really dark fluid when they got it, two changes later it is still kindof dark but seems to shift and work fine, are aw4s as bulletproof as people say?
Sorry for the dumb questions, This is the first auto Ive owned.

As far as I know, the 'emissions warning' light is simply a timer sort of device that goes off after a certain amount of kilometres to remind you to take it to the dealer. They will either reset it, or replace the little clear box.

I don't know where the CPS would be on a manual tranny, but think it might be in the same location. (I could easily be wrong though...)

The AW4 is a very good tranny, and if it's fine now it should keep on ticking for a while. How many kms on it?

Finally, there are no dumb questions.

:)

>The AW4 is a very good tranny, and if it's fine now it should keep on >ticking for a while. How many kms on it?

The 95 has 156k miles and the 90 has 198k miles. the 90 seems just fine, the 95 fluid has cleared up since the last fluid change and seems to shift better, but when they got it the fluid was BLACK. must be clutch dust or something, and it was probably plugging stuff up or slowing fluid movement...
Tomorrow I am going salvage yard diving, I am going to try and pick up at least one of every sensor I can find to try and fix the 89 beast. still don't know what is making it gurgle and sputter at idle only. I am also going to swap sensors from my 90 to it in the morning one by one to try and pinpoint anything.
Im testing the 90 in power mode to check gas milage and will do the same in comfort, i think in a previous post people said to leave it in power for less slippage and quicker shifting and that newer jeeps were all in power mode... I would like to use the setting that is best for tranny life but also for gas milage, must test... anyone know?

The emissions light may in fact be a timer of sorts, I don't know, but if it sputters, runs rough AND the emissions light is on you probably have a problem with your emissions, i.e. CAT, O2, etc. O2 about $60, Cat replaced about $150+ by a muffler shop. Also check all your vacuum lines to see if any are cracked, broken, disconnected or missing.
If it's running your CPS should be OK for now. And for god's sake get a Chilton manual or an FSM (Factory Service Manual)

As far as the dark fluid, it's not "clutch dust" it's burnt fluid. That baby got too hot. You might have them check if they have a auxillary tranny cooler and if not put one in. Change the fluid 1 more time and include a quart of Lucas Trans with the fluid (as in, in place of one of the quarts of fluid). Should take care of it.

Good luck

P.S. Don't just clear the light warning, fix it first.

A nappa guy told me the other day that people swear by the lucas addatives. Has anyone had any noticable differences with them? I have tried the engine oil kind for a few changes but I didn't notice anything, jeep still marked its territory and compression never changed. it probably did help the oil stick to everything longer. Anyone had good luck with the lucas transmission addative? Another one I have wondered about and tried with no results was Restore.

Oh, and I usually ditch the cats because I have never had a new enough vehicle to have a sensor back there... turbo mufflers or cherrybomb usually with a bigger pipe from the manifold back, and k&n round filters/ homemade cold air intake setups... what year did they start putting O2 sensors in the back? 91?

Pull the box....toss it.

It is a timer...that is all.

The '90 has no other way to turn an Emissions light on.

If you want to maintain it, you could change the O2 sensor and the cat, its about time.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Pull the box....toss it.

It is a timer...that is all.

The '90 has no other way to turn an Emissions light on.

If you want to maintain it, you could change the O2 sensor and the cat, its about time.

Rev
x2
the light was there simply to get people to go to the dealer after a preset time/mileage for an emmisions check.
There's no reseting it, the box needs replaced.

chuck it, the light will go out.

KYFHOMS22 said:
A nappa guy told me the other day that people swear by the lucas addatives. Has anyone had any noticable differences with them? I have tried the engine oil kind for a few changes but I didn't notice anything, jeep still marked its territory and compression never changed. it probably did help the oil stick to everything longer. Anyone had good luck with the lucas transmission addative? Another one I have wondered about and tried with no results was Restore.

I'm trying the Lucas oil additive, and noticed the psi went up a few pounds. I love the tranny treatment! It literally brought a tranny in my old 1990 Pontiac Transport back from the brink of being scrapped. (Tranny was fine, changed the fluid, tranny was toast; added buttloads of Lucas, tranny was fine again.)

I've tried their fuel system treatment, and now their power steering fluid additive, and so far no big difference.

:)

PS: The power setting is better for tranny life, and fine for fuel milage.

Last edited:
Its good to hear someone had good luck with an addative, I might try the tranny lucas stuff in my olds before I sell it, it makes a clunk when it shifts... I have tried some leak stop from nappa for my rear main, it is supposed to be "guaranteed to stop any leak", I have no faith in it though.
Ran into another problem with the 90, how on earth do you change the cps without dropping the tranny? lots of extentions and some wobblies? cant see how to get on it... If power mode is good then I will stick with it, dont like the idea of extra slippage if its not needed.

Blaine B. said:
If you pull the timer does the light go out?

How about just pulling the bulb?

timer is set to turn on the light at 82500 miles and absolutely nothing else-- pulling the bulb would accomplish the same thing, but it's easier to get to the box than it is the light!!! Look under dash to the right of steering column and there it is! Clear box full of way too many little gears and gizmoes designed to spin until 82500 miles and go 'BOOM'---- ok, maybe just turn on a light for the rest of it's life! It was supposed to be replaced at the time of O2 sensor replacement and go on in another 82500........................
unplug it and think about O2 sensors every now-and-then and you'll be doing the same thing!
--Shorty
P.S. if you have cruise control, you'll need to move the module to reach the little timer box of death!

Shorty said:
timer is set to turn on the light at 82500 miles and absolutely nothing else-- pulling the bulb would accomplish the same thing, but it's easier to get to the box than it is the light!!! Look under dash to the right of steering column and there it is! Clear box full of way too many little gears and gizmoes designed to spin until 82500 miles and go 'BOOM'---- ok, maybe just turn on a light for the rest of it's life! It was supposed to be replaced at the time of O2 sensor replacement and go on in another 82500........................
unplug it and think about O2 sensors every now-and-then and you'll be doing the same thing!
--Shorty
P.S. if you have cruise control, you'll need to move the module to reach the little timer box of death!

actually, its not set to turn on at 82,500. It is a timer, not a mileager. Mine light up at 76,xxx the first time, I then took out the timer and reset the little spring inside and it went off again at 139xxx with a lot more trail riding the second time around and less highway miles. Just turning the ignition to the on position causes the timer to start ticking so mileage isn't a factor. I think jeep wanted it to go off around 75-80k so they designed it to go off after X amount of hours. If yours went off at 82.5k then I'd say you probably had a fair amount of highway miles on your jeep.......if you're still around....old thread.

my light was on when I got the Jeep, so I cannot verify the mileage it was at when it came on, but I an fairly sure I didn't come up with 82500 miles without reading it somewhere. I would be hard pressed to find the info right now, but I'll look in the A.M. IIRC (and that's debateable) the '88-'89 had a box that was designed as a replace able unit and the later ones could be reset. As for it being a "timer", I'll agree that if you spent hours with the key on going slowly it would trip the light sooner, but for the average speeds for the average person, it would go "boom" at the recommended O2 replacement interval

--Shorty

and yes, I'm still lurking

Shorty said:
my light was on when I got the Jeep, so I cannot verify the mileage it was at when it came on, but I an fairly sure I didn't come up with 82500 miles without reading it somewhere. I would be hard pressed to find the info right now, but I'll look in the A.M. IIRC (and that's debateable) the '88-'89 had a box that was designed as a replace able unit and the later ones could be reset. As for it being a "timer", I'll agree that if you spent hours with the key on going slowly it would trip the light sooner, but for the average speeds for the average person, it would go "boom" at the recommended O2 replacement interval

--Shorty

and yes, I'm still lurking

I don't care how long ago it was.......I'll sue your ass if you can't find out where you read 82,500........seriously :laugh3:

Back