• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

too much castor and death wobble

RyanM

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody had any experiance with this. I've heard different opinions.

Last edited:
My experience is that neither are good as steering and driveability are both negatively affected.

Ever get that cart at the Supermarket that has that wheel that does nothing but wobble............In my opinion, Death wobble = caster wobble.

i'm not getting DW. I was just doing some research for someone.-low speed shimmy . I know having not enough castor will give you very scary steering, been there. Does too mush castor lead to shimmy/wobbling.

RyanM said:
i'm not getting DW. I was just doing some research for someone.-low speed shimmy . I know having not enough castor will give you very scary steering, been there. Does too mush castor lead to shimmy/wobbling.

Normally, Too little castor can allow wobbling.
I have never heard of too much castor allowing wobbling. Wouldn't be easy to have too much castor on a lifted XJ would it? How far out of spec are we talking about?

Michael

Given a steering system that is in good shape, too much caster simply makes it harder to steer and gives you significant understeer.

Positive caster improves straight line stability. It's much like a longer wheelbase vehicle. Drive a pickup with a long wheelbase and then go drive a Samurai. It's pretty obvious that wheelbase means greater stability. Too much caster can be a bad thing if you lose tire clearance or put too much stress on mounts and so forth. How much is too much? I can't say (it depends on the lift primarily) for sure, but I would stay within the 6.5-8 degree range. For me 6.5 to 7 degrees of positive caster is perfect on 35s with 8" lift (y-link)

the set up is long arm ~6". its on an axle thats had its inner c's rotated 44. the steering is one ton. i think the swampers are out of balance

when my castor was off i had really bad DW, but it was usually only during turns with i was going over 45-50 MPH..ive never had any problems with any speed lower then that.

with a stock dana 30 and a lifted xj you cant really have too much castor and a good pinion angle
wishihad1 said:
when my castor was off i had really bad DW, but it was usually only during turns with i was going over 45-50 MPH..ive never had any problems with any speed lower then that.

I had very bad death wobble. I had to replace my steering stab, and track bar. That took care of 90% of it. I still get a little vibe at about 55mph. Hopefully an allingment/tire bal will take care of the rest.

WHT '91 3" lift w/ 32" BFG Mud, RC quick dis, Cut fenders.

Back