• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear End leaking?!?!?!

BCarr1985

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 8.25 29 spline that is leaking fluid from the tail, i dont know if there is a seal or something back there, anyone know?

thanks
Robert

Rear End Leaking !?!?!?!

I have a 8.25 29 spline that is leaking fluid from the tail, i dont know if there is a seal or something back there, anyone know?

thanks
Robert

What exactly do you mean by "tail".

If it is leaking from the back then it is the cover, or fill plug.

If it is leaking from the front it is the pinion yoke seal.

If it is coming from the sides it is one of the axle shaft seals.

BCarr1985 said:

thanks
Robert

Ummmmm at the risk of being a jerk.....crawl under it and look? Hint...if it has one of those stupid rubber fill plugs, they are prone to leaking...other than that....pinion seal...

--Warning- thread Hijack--
Alright, those sagging rear springs that I was going to replace this past weekend finally screwed me. Instead of the universal breaking it broke about 1/4 to 1/3 of the yoke off of my 8.25. All the way down the splines. the broken yoke then tore the oil seal.
So my question... I have no problem with putting a new yoke and seal on, but I am not sure about the crush sleeve. How much torque can I put on the nut when tightening everything down without crushing it more? I am missing those couple pages in the service manual that pertains to this.
Also, Is there a u-bolt style yoke fro this axle?

Last edited:
MudDawg said:
Hint...if it has one of those stupid rubber fill plugs, they are prone to leaking...other than that....pinion seal...

Can they be replaced with a steel bolt? Mine leaks down the back cover too.

Torque the yoke down until you feel a slight resistance turning the yoke. It will take alot of torque to get it there. Plan on using a big breaker bar. Turn the nut about 1/8 turn at a time and check the turning resistance of the yoke. You want just a little resistance on the yoke. About 18-24 inch pounds if you have a dial indicating torque wrench. Noone makes a u-bolt style yoke for this axle that I have found yet. I modified a yoke by drilling out the bolt holes for some u-bolts I got from Napa. I don't remember the application but I think it was a mid 90's dodge dakota. I then milled the back side to make room for the nuts and washers. Any good machine shop should be able to do this for you for around $40 or so.

Back