• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick fog light question

jcjeeper89

NAXJA Forum User
I have already searched the forum, but have not found a solid answer for my question:

My 97 XJ did not have the fog light option but does have the bush guard cut outs and the space for the fog light switch. Is this vehicle wired for stock fog lights and all I have to do is install them or will I need to do wiring for them as well? Thanks!

My 2000 didn't come with fog lights either, but I bought a complete Mopar fog light kit and wired it up. If you pull off the trim bezel where the three switches are (blank plate for fog lights), there will actually be a plug in the back of that blank plate. There's also a plug tucked up under the front bumper. I hooked mine up with those plugs, and nothing worked. So I just did all the wiring myself. If you can find out how to get that pre-existing wiring to work, you'll save yourself some time. Lemme know how it turns out. Jer

jbmoose said:
My 2000 didn't come with fog lights either, but I bought a complete Mopar fog light kit and wired it up. If you pull off the trim bezel where the three switches are (blank plate for fog lights), there will actually be a plug in the back of that blank plate. There's also a plug tucked up under the front bumper. I hooked mine up with those plugs, and nothing worked. So I just did all the wiring myself. If you can find out how to get that pre-existing wiring to work, you'll save yourself some time. Lemme know how it turns out. Jer

you are probably just missing a relay in the box under the hood. no fog light option, no relay in the box. all the wiring harnesses are the same.

All 97-01 had part of the factory harness installed for fog lamps, but this is mostly only in the dash harness. This is why a plug is hidden in there. If you were to trace the wires from the plug you will notice they end. Mine end at the Power Distribution Center in the engine compartment. If you did not have the factory fogs installed you will see that the Relays and the sockets they plug into will be missing in that box. Most likely why when you plugged them in, they did not work. It's easier to run a new harness for fog lamps then to attempt to use the existing harness.

To check if your XJ had fogs at one time look at the Power Distribution Center in the engine compartment. If you see the Relays in section B, labeled Fog 1 and Fog 2 then you have them or use to have them.

...and from my experience, if your XJ didn't have fog lights from the factory, (regardless of the completness of the rest of the wiring) your main headlight wiring harness will not have connectors for the fog lights.

Back