• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 8.8 question....please help

little red cheroke

NAXJA Forum User
does the 8.8 pinion have a crush sleeve? i dropped a c clip into the pinion oil area and cant get it out. im guessing the only way to get it out is remove the pinion. but i dont want to do it if i cant just remove the pinion nut, knock out the pinion/bearings/shims and get the clip and put it all back togeather. is there a better way? the only reason im afraid of takin it out is b/c when i had to take the pinion out of my 30 the shims were warped and ppl told me i need new shims and itd be best to get it set up by a pro. long story short i ended up putting in new gears (4.10's, which is what lead me to buy the 8.8) and had to shell out a little over 600 for gears and labor. i just dont want to knock out this pinion and some how end up spending another 600 for something that wasnt forseen.

advice please! im having stroke after stroke of bad luck and seriously considering selling all my s***

Yes, the 8.8 has a crush sleeve....its a b*tch to crush too...lol....

replied. got it with one of those 1.99 grabber things from the local parts store. saved me a huge head ache. took about a half hour of fishing to get it but once i got a good hold on it all it took was a few (actually a lot) of good pulls and it came out. now to put it all back togeather....again....

Back