• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator?

dabeersboys

NAXJA Forum User
Last night i was driving and I noticed a hum and along with a smell.
The smell was alot like clutch or break, but it wasn't either of them, The I noticed that my Battery gauge was in the red, replaced the battery with a spare and the same problem.

Is this the alternator? or what else could it be?

Also what is the Stock size alternator for a 89 XJ, 4.0? how much more power can I go with out replacing wires, etc?
Thanks!
-Matt

Last edited:
OEMR RENIX alternator is about a 85A Delco CS-131, as I recall. You can go larger, but I'd not go much past 100A without changing the alternator output lead - and, more importantly, the fusible link at the start relay post.

For sources, I do upgrade wiring, and I've got a shop that does mail-order for a reasonable price. Info on both can be found by clicking the link in my sig - "San Jose Generator" is the shop I use and built a few pages for. You're after the "Delco CS-series" alternators - the Delco SI was for earlier Jeeps, and the ND (Nippondenso) is for 91-up.

All comms backchannel, please - PM or e-mail (e-mail preferred - link on site.)

5-90

Back