• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Harmonic Balancer question

jkmhb

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced the harmonic balancer on my '98 - the old one had the outer ring wobbling.

When starting it up with the new balancer, I was hearing a spark about every 5 seconds or so - coming from the front of the motor.

Turns out there is a spark jumping between the outer ring and the center of the harmonic balancer. I guess there can be static electricity building up from the belt.

Anyone ever hear of this? What can be done? I wouldn't think it would be good for the rubber in between.

something is telling me to tell you to check your boots on your sparkplug wires.

its the only logical explanation i can think of...

What kind of shape is the serpentine belt in? I guess if its glazed and not tight enough and slipping a bit, it could build up some static charge and cause a spark.

I guess you could try a new belt or re-tension the old belt, maybe put some tooth paste on the old belt to polish off the glaze.

Not to hijack, but what do you mean by your outer ring was wobbling? did it look like the bolt was moving side to side if you looked at it from above, engine running? what problems did/does this cause?

The bolt wasn't wobbling (that would mean a bent bolt or bent crankshaft snout - unlikely unless the car was in an accident).

The outer part of the harmonic balancer itself was wobbling. This includes the pulley the belt rides on. When the rubber begins to go bad on the balancer, this can happen. It can eventually walk into the timing cover, or fly off into the radiator if let go long enough.

Back