• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my new (to me) rear bumper

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
just bolted up my new (to me) detours usa rear bumper. its a little dented and scraped but it matches the rest of the jeep so it fits right in :D
IM000996.jpg

IM000997.jpg

IM000998.jpg

bumper = :thumbup:

truck nuts = (n)

:D

You will loose your nuts in Big Bear this weekend.....

Cool bumper though... looks funny without the tire carrier:

PICT0179.jpg

PICT0227.jpg

I'm getting ready to order the rough cut with the tire carrier. Is there anything "bad" about the detour bumpers I should know about first?

tcm glx said:
Holy old thread batman!!

lol everyone says search the forums, then they say old thread, jebus save me!

The thread may be old but I'm thinking about buying the bumper now. ;)

muckleroy said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with bumping an old thread like this. You asked a valid question, wait for someone to respond. In the meantime everybody else is going to get all nastalgic :laugh:

muckleroy said:

My bad, I was not trying to sound bad about it........not my intention. By all means, bring the old posts back up, I am sure Grimm will chime in here soon...he is on allll the forum!

hey lookit me im famous! :D

i love the bumper. only issue i have with it is it only mounts to the stock 8 bolts on the end of the unibody rails. the bumper itself is beefy as all hell, but if you stick a crowbar in the reciever hitch hole and pull on it the whole bumper will move a bit. i think if i change it out for something else i would get one that mounts to the OE hitch mounting points, as well as the stock bumper mounting surface.

GrimmJeeper said:
if you stick a crowbar in the reciever hitch hole and pull on it the whole bumper will move a bit.

Don't do that.

GrimmJeeper said:
i would get one that mounts to the OE hitch mounting points, as well as the stock bumper mounting surface.

In my opinion that's the only way to do a rear bumper that has tow points or a receiver. I do not trust the stock eight mounts, that's why I still run an OEM receiver on both of my Jeeps.

GSequoia said:
Don't do that.
just stating the fact for emphasis...

GSequoia said:
In my opinion that's the only way to do a rear bumper that has tow points or a receiver. I do not trust the stock eight mounts, that's why I still run an OEM receiver on both of my Jeeps.
i dont use the reciever as a tow point, or at all for that matter, and its not why i bought the bumper. i dont really trust it either. i just like having the rear d-ring mounts just in case. eventually i will pick up a better bumper but for now this one does the trick. im just trying to explain the setup to someone who might be looking into this bumper.

:peace:

-G

GrimmJeeper said:
hey lookit me im famous! :D

i love the bumper. only issue i have with it is it only mounts to the stock 8 bolts on the end of the unibody rails. the bumper itself is beefy as all hell, but if you stick a crowbar in the reciever hitch hole and pull on it the whole bumper will move a bit. i think if i change it out for something else i would get one that mounts to the OE hitch mounting points, as well as the stock bumper mounting surface.

Hey thanks. That will work out well for me. I have the OEM hitch. I've already e-mail detours and he said no problem it will work fine with his bumper.

I was going to get the rough cut with tire carrier. No hitch and no backup lights. I like the idea of the backup lights but those oval things are ugly (to me). I know I know, it's a Jeep, but still...

I'll have some pics and comments up as soon I as get and install the new bumper.

Back