• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Leak

jrayupchurch

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Country 4 wheel drive equipped with 4.0 HO motor AW4 transmission and factory tow package. I purchased it new and now have 380,000 miles on it and still runs good. But I have a strange transmission leak for about 3years. It leaks only when I’m going up a very step grade of the Rocky Mountains pulling my camper 1500 lbs gross weight. It leaks oil on the exhaust pipe and looks like the thing is ready to blow from the smoke. I can pull the camper in the relative flat area where I live and not leak 1 drop of fluid. I had the rear seals changed at transfer case and transmission thinking this would solve my problem but I was wrong. Last year was the first time I could see it was leaking from the front of the transmission. The AW4 doesn’t seem to slip and shifts like new and the coolant temperature reads normal. I plan to have the transmission rebuilt before going on vacation this year. But I need help on what parts could cause the leak so I’m sure to have them replaced.

I'll second the cooler. It might not be coming out of the seal, but rather blowing out of the breather tube that's on the top of the transmission, and running down the bellhousing onto the exhaust. I had this issue when mine got cooked one day after sitting in stop and go traffic for over two hours.

380,000??...wow! I don't know if i'd do a rebuild on the tranny or not.....if everything is shifting and running fine, i'd probably leave it alone (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!)

Back