• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skipping/Clunking Front Axle?

Blkae McKinlay

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ with stock axles. While in Moab I was climbing a deep sand hill with lots of holes. While in 1st Gear in 4 Low I had a little to much speed and caught a whole wrong. My front tires popped about 8 inches off the ground and when they landed I heard a loud "clunk." It appeared to be fine but than I realized that when the car was in 4wd Hi or Low the axle sounded like it was "slipping" or "clicking" when I turned/went uphill/put torque on it. Also, in 2wd it is fine except for when I make a sharp turn I hear a series of very soft clicks.

I heard it could be my u joint but I visually examined it and it seems fine, as do the hubs. I also heard it could be the ball joint in my axle or that I could have broken a couple of teeth in my axle.

ANY IDEAS?

If so, any gues on prices and if an average guy could fix it himself.
Thanks again
Blake

It sounds like a U-joint to me, if not you should pull the cover and check the gears. You may also want to pull the shafts, and check to make sure you didn't bend the housing itself.
Taking it all apart will not only let you inspect all the parts, plus it gives you practice if you ever need to change anything on the trail.

I am planning on doing that tomorrow (thursday) night. I will let you guys know. Also, should I just install a front locker since I will probably be replacing some gears anyway. I dont have a rear locker so I dont know if its a good idea. Also, With an automatic locker (like an aussie) your front axle is always locked right? There is no turning it on and off like with an ARB air locker right? Is that a problem? Thanks again

If it's a ring/pinion teeth problem, you will get noise while going straight or turning.

If it only happens while turning, I would suspect u-joints or expecially spider gears.

I have a lock-right in the front and don't notice it in 2hi, just a little clicking/banging when turning hard. It only locks while torque is applied, so it shouldn't ever lock up in 2hi.

Alright. I took off my diff cover and I found what I believe is a chipped spider gear. My ring gear looked fine and my spider gear was only minorly chipped. I couldnt see the back side of either gear though. I have some pics but cant figure out how to post them on here.
Also if it is only a chipped spider gear than would getting an aussie automatic front locker replace all necessary parts?
Let me know

Back