• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help w/ installation on rear 2" shackles...

Rollerz

NAXJA Forum User
Today I attempted to install a rough country 2" Kit - Front spacers, front shocks, rear shocks, and rear shackles. Well, I got everything in except the shackles. Last night I soaked the bolts in PB Blaster and I even went out today and bought an air compressor and tools. N E Way, I cannot get the bolts to break. The bottom bolt has a nut on it and the top bolt looks to screw into the frame (I think). Aside from heating the bolts does anyone else have any suggestions or has had experience installing the shackles. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just threw some shackles on this last week. You are right the top bolt does not have a nut. I put a closed end wrench on the nut on the bottom and let it turn untill the wrench bottomed out on my jeep, then i used a breaker bar with a short cheater bar and i had no problem. what i did have a problem with is my shackles bottoming out on the bumper bolt. When you remove your shackles look up into their brackets and you will see the bumper bolt i am talking about you may need to trim it.???????
Hope this helps

put a jack under your rear axle and jack it up... once there is some play in the shackle, remove the bolt, pull shackle off, down the jack very slowly, line the new shackle up and put the bolt in..

I installed some 2" con-fer shackles on my Samuai in 30 mins..lol

I did a 2 inch BB a couple of weeks ago and yes those bolts were a pain, but i sprayed the bolts with PB about every other day, a couple weeks before the install and it helped a lot. Also, a breaker bar, and once the bolt was loose i would tighten it then loosen it to get the rust off the threads......hope that helps.

PB works great but when i put my shakles on they stuck too. adjusting the skle with a jack helps but my propane torch and breaker bar dii the hard work. had to use a lot heat but eventually heard a pop and the bolts started to turn for me

Thanks for the suggestions....I didnt have a "breaker" bar for much leverage. But I will be at it again in the a.m., also with a torch probably.

Thanks again

I will look to see if my bumper bolts are in the way too. (1990 XJ, btw)

Back