• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ Question

Yankees888

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Everyone,

I recently got a 97 Cherokee Sport, Auto, with 180k miles on it. I have been off roading in it for a few months now. Nothing major but off roading still. Anyway I want to put a lift on it and eventually get some 35" MT's on it and as of right now I have basically nothing done to the vehicle except sway bar quick disconnects.

I was curious as to what everyone thinks I should do to fit 35s on my XJ. I know I will need a substantial lift and probably need to get new flares and trim but I was wondering what else I will most likely need (rear axle,steering,etc)?

TIA

33's are more realistic without more extensive mods:
FRONT
longer springs-4"
longer brake lines front
longer swaybar links front
Rubicon express front track bar
3 hockey pucks per side for front bumpstops

REAR
add a leaf from s-10/dakota rear (yields approx 2")
2" lift block rear
yj rear brake line
homemade bumpstops (easy)

ALL ROUND
4 longer shocks (rear lower mount can be relocated to re-use stock shock)
33 inch tires
15 x 8 rims 3&3/4" backspacing
major trimming to plastic flares/removal/replace with stock tj flares
moderate trimming to front fenders

This is basically a homemade lift kit which is ideal for xjs as far as bang for the buck goes

Doing it like this costs about half what a lift kit will

good luck!

I'd run 33s, but I run 35s right now on an RE 4.5" and fender trimming. Search my name in picture thread for pics.

I'd make sure to get the Jeep regeared/locked whwenever you do the lift/tires. With 32s+ you'll want 4.56s-4.88s+

Back