• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ flairs... again, need some advice

gabe4

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched and have gone to Jeepin and rocklizard site to see their fender trimming stuff but I can't find anything on using 4 rear tj flairs, specifically how to mount the rear and make it look decent. I did the cut and fold trick and it looks fine but when I hold the flair up it's a lot bigger then the wheel well. There is fender showing on the inside of the flair it looks kind of sh!#y. How have folks dealt with where the flair meets the bumper cap? I'm afraid to just cut the flair to meet up with the cap because I don't like how mud gets behind the cap I'd like to have the flair continue all the way but when you try to attach it the whole thing twist downward or inward depending on how you look at it, plus there is a lot of fender that is showing under the flair. Also I looking to replace the stock bumper. I'm hoping for some close up shots that show how to actually mount the rears.

I used front & rear TJ flares, but the concept is the same.

I drew the flares where I wanted them to lay on the front fenders with a pencil (both top & inside of flares), then I altered the "inside" bottom line to give me a little more room. (I lined the "top" of the flare up with the body line) I trimmed out a lot of the inside of the flare plastic that I didn't need & drilled holes for the bolts, then I bolted them on.

I also cut out a section of the lower portion of the flares to match the body lines that stick outward. For the rear (4-door) I drew on the flares, then cut the flares into sections, then screwed them on with sheet metal screws. I already had my rear 1/4 panels cut out so I didn't have to deal with that area again.

Here's a few pics that might help:
TJflaresrear.jpg

doorlessdrivers.jpg

frontdrivers.jpg

did you take any out of the top center of the flare? the ones that look best IMO have the front section mounted to the door, ending at the back edge of the door, w/ a cut there in the horizontal part, then the rest mounted to the fender, with like 4 inches chopped out where the door cut is. Puts the mount hardware right up near the pinchweld, and the tail end in front of the bumper cap.

jfiscus said:
I used front & rear TJ flares, but the concept is the same.

I drew the flares where I wanted them to lay on the front fenders with a pencil (both top & inside of flares), then I altered the "inside" bottom line to give me a little more room. (I lined the "top" of the flare up with the body line) I trimmed out a lot of the inside of the flare plastic that I didn't need & drilled holes for the bolts, then I bolted them on.

I also cut out a section of the lower portion of the flares to match the body lines that stick outward. For the rear (4-door) I drew on the flares, then cut the flares into sections, then screwed them on with sheet metal screws. I already had my rear 1/4 panels cut out so I didn't have to deal with that area again.

Here's a few pics that might help:
TJflaresrear.jpg

doorlessdrivers.jpg

frontdrivers.jpg

Better put your doors back on, that thing is gonna fold like a taco.

2000Cherokee said:
he will be fine running it w/o doors
I dont know, my cousins neighbor ran without doors and he took it to an alignment shop and they asked him if it had ever been wrecked, he said no, because he bought it new, its a 2001, but anyways his frame was really twisted and he doesnt even wheel really just takes the doors off and cruises the beach but that was enough so in my experience it would seem taking off the doors will not be fine and i hope he does something to prevent the "taco" effect.

Since the flares wheren't made for the XJ, there's gona be some panel still showing. I just made sure that it was covered by the flare when you looked at it straight from the side. Also sprayed black undercoating on the paint that still showed after install to make it less noticable.

100_6593.jpg

P.M. me if you have any questions.

James.

I cut out that little bit of inner(?) wheel well that's right behind the rear door. I also put undercoating on everything in the well & that helped to hide it a lot.

I haven't had any trouble with my doors being off in the summers as far as I can see & don't really see much body flex:
STUCK.jpg

Ramsey said:
I dont know, my cousins neighbor ran without doors and he took it to an alignment shop and they asked him if it had ever been wrecked, he said no, because he bought it new, its a 2001, but anyways his frame was really twisted and he doesnt even wheel really just takes the doors off and cruises the beach but that was enough so in my experience it would seem taking off the doors will not be fine and i hope he does something to prevent the "taco" effect.

seriously think about this. How much support do you think your doors really give? Go out, open and close them, look at the hinges and stricker, then drive over some speed bumps with your finger in between the door frame and body..... the body flexes and the door doesnt do much to stop it.

I'm trying to avoide putting them on the door. Taking some out of the middle is a good idea I just have to figure out how to hide the cut.

fordtech said:
seriously think about this. How much support do you think your doors really give? Go out, open and close them, look at the hinges and stricker, then drive over some speed bumps with your finger in between the door frame and body..... the body flexes and the door doesnt do much to stop it.
dude my cousins neighbor told me!

Back