• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

360 Degree tilt coloum?

bessie4.0

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep over time has developed a 360 degree tilt steering coloum. I'm worried that one day i'll be driving down the trail and the steering wheel will just pop off into my hands. The coloum is a tilt coloum, now it just tilts in all directions. My question is, Does anyone know where i could get a new coloum. it doesnt need to be stock, the new coloum doesnt even need all the fancy wiring as im stream lining the wiring for more of an off road only truck. I just want it to go in easily... Or as easy as possible.

Thank you

What year is your jeep?? If its an earlier style it is a Saganaw/GM steering colum-all ya need to do is take it apart past the tilt section an tighten 3 screws that ALLWAYS loosen-just use some loctite on them and it wont happen again.Or possible that one of the bearings are bad-

yup mines an 88 happened to me plus i werk on cars for a livin- done 100's before a lot of older gm's do that- especial when people use the colum to get in and out of there car!!!

To do the job right you need a puller for the pivot studs on the colum. Do a serch for "GM Pivot Pin Removal Tool" or something. They are really cheap.

Otherwise you won't be able to get to the other 2 bolts. If you only tighten two of them it won't take long before they loosen back up, even with locktight.

Here is a write up

http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

Back