• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

powertrax confusion

Grifter144

NAXJA Forum User
History: Ok so last week on my way to school ..i hooked a right around a corner and the rear end popped (loudest to date)...immediattely afterward the jeep was pushing me into the shoulder of the road..so i let it coast..felt the no slip catch and walla i was off on the straight and narrow again..after that for the last couple days it would pop like all heck everytime i went around a corner no matter what direction..so for the last couple days i have been looking around on here and gl4x4 for possible problems..from the answers i was reading i was expecting a broken paddle or crossshaft at the least.

so today i did the suggested locker test..i could spin the passenger rear wheel like it was a top.every once in a while i could make it catch and then with some slight wheel play it would disengage. the drivers side would not spin..so obviously the locker failed the test..

anyway i got her apart a couple minutes ago and nothing appears broken "persay"..the teeth on the passenger side coupler show more signs of wear than the driverside coupler.

would a need for new springs and this slight amount of excess wear on the coupler cause that whole side of the locker to disengage..

if so anybody got the summit serial number for the passenger side replacement coupler...or can i get one thru Randys R and P? I will be calling them tomorrow to order a new spring kit..

Edit "Nevermind i somehow missed the numbers when reading Ben H's previous post regarding powertrax failure during my last search yesterday..i have the serial number now i just gotta order the damn thing..glad i saved the spider gears..

thanks,
RLTW,
Grifter

Last edited:
Just curious but how long has it been in there... Im assuming you're refering to a No-Slip. Mine has never unloaded on me.. It's always ran pretty much perfectly no noise at all.

IT is easy however to break a active spacer if its not been installed properly.. that's what I was asking how long its been in the axle.

Grifter144 said:
anyway i got her apart a couple minutes ago and nothing appears broken "persay"..the teeth on the passenger side coupler show more signs of wear than the driverside coupler.

would a need for new springs and this slight amount of excess wear on the coupler cause that whole side of the locker to disengage..

I think it is pretty good practice to have a couple of those spring kits around for spares. Maybe even change the springs every couple of years.

The excessive wear on the passenger coupler, could be from torque load, or be a good indication of driving habits. My passenger side couple was a little more worn down than the drivers side. The more you use it, the more you bruise it. Mine is a few years old. Still a pretty good locker for the money.

Summit has parts for it online. Randy's couldn't get the part number for the paddle, but they can get springs to you pretty quick. FWIW.

:cheers:

update. back in june I tried to order replacements parts using Ben H's part numbers.i dont know why but i failed to realize that the part number stated was for the active spacer. hindsight 20/20..eitherway i picked up a set of replacement springs and they fixed the issue for the time being.. last week while goofing off down at my shop the symtoms game back..total unlock of the rear end this time. as in no power going to either rear wheel. i pulled the no slip again and the parts all look the same as before. no broken cross pin. no broken active spacer. so i am leaning on the idea that the passneger side coupler does need to be replaced. anyone have the part number for this.

Back