• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Driveshaft help

Tantric XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to replace the U joints, but I cant budge the 4 bolts holding the shaft to the T-case flange. I PB Blasted them, used an 8mm box wrench, vice grips, can't fit a socket wrench on them, and all thats happening is they are beginning to round. Any suggestions?

Being very careful with a propane torch, heat the yoke that is holding the bolts slightly. Someone probably used loctite to hold them in. Make sure to have something to put out the fire if it happens though.:flame::smsoap:

I hope your not using the vice grips on the nut, it will round it off and leave you with less options. Second, you need more leverage. I don't know what kind of wrench experience you have (so this may sound stupid), a piece of pipe is the easiest to explain, just slip it over the end of 8mm.

A more common way to get more leverage and harder for me to explain is to use a second wrench as extension handle to the 8mm (if you wrench a bit or been around a shop this will be of no help). Place the box end of 8mm on the nut and take a second wrench. With the box end of the second wrench, place in into the open end of the 8mm on one of the forks while keeping both in almost striaght line. The orientation of the second wrench with be pertidicular to the first. You wil l be able to use this as pry on the first giving you longer leverage. This only works with box that has offset and works with only with one sides pointed up, so you might have to play with it to figure it out. If you not tired using more leverage, maybe someone handy with a camera can send a pic. A picture in this case is worth a thousand words.

Again, you may be more advance have already tried this. Never use vice grips, It will cause more problems then they solve.

Good luck
Dyslexic Bill in Alabama

I appreciate the help but I have had no success, every wrench begins rounding of the edges and I have no torch. I think I'll have to pay a shop to remove the shaft.

I've tried a 12 point, then several diffearnt 6 points, a flex 1/4" drive that would not sit, brought it to a local mechanic and watched him flail, so now I have an appointment at the dealership. The dealer charges flat rates based on the book. Any idea how long the book says it should take. I could imagine no longer than half an hour, right? I am trying to repair my "why are you ripping me off" rebuttle.

Since you have had no luck so far, here's another free suggestion. Get a dremel or other small grinder and cut the heads off the bolts. You may get lucky and find that once the heads are off, the threads will turn out quite easily, sometimes the heads seize to the yoke. If not, worst case, you replace the yoke. Tons cheaper than what you'll pay the stealership.

So I have been to the stealership, they charged me $55 to remove the shaft, but the bolts and hardware are all in good shape. Except, heres the best part, according to them the U-joints are fine and all my issues are due to a failed center bearing which they claim can not be repaired and I must get an entire new front driveshaft which they quoted at over $600. Obviously I did not jump at that offer. Instead I tore it apart, went to NAPA, bought the centering ball repair kit for $39, another $30 for the new U-joints, and even after paying the dealer $55 in labor I'm still nearly $500 under their costs.

I just can not understand how the Jeep dealership can claim that the centering ball is "unrepairable" when we all know how far from the truth that is?!

Thanks for all your suggestions, Betsy (my XJ) thanks you too.

Wow... really high on the cost there... Why did you bother with the old shaft for that price... Many companies sell brand new complete shafts for around 260-280 such as tom woods and more. Also, as for the bolts on the flanges and yokes.. I use a 5/16" 6pt and it fits really tight, i will never use a 12pt on small or larger torqued bolts, its just asking for trouble.

This is the reason why those of us who work on cars for a living spend so much money on tools. put a good quality six point wrench on it and hit the other end with a 5lb sledge. Kind of works like an impact wrench. Don't try this with a cheap wrench though, it will either break or you will strip the head of the bolt when the wrench stretches. Snap On, Matco, Mac box wrenches are designed to grab the flats of a bolt and not the corners,and are made of much higher Quality steel Than the cheap stuff. And no, beating on your tools is not really suggested, but sometimes you got to what you got to do to get the job done...

Hah. I will agree on that one. Ive done my fair share of work on my XJ, and it deffinately helps when you know you have the right tool, or in some instances, can make the right tool

Back