• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

muffler man bent 3 front pipes, all went into trash

92DripCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
My muffler guy made 3 downpipes, each one would have interfered with the driveshaft. He said the 2.5 inch pipe diameter just would'nt clear at full axle travel, so he ordered a stock width replacement.

This means I'm getting another dented front pipe.

So, looking for some other exhaust improvement, where's the best spot in the front pipe to weld in a flexible exhaust coupling?

is your jeep stock height
if you want a unbent pipe you need bigger bumpstops which will lose travel in a stock height jeep

Doesn't the YJ have it's down pipe come around the front of the engine, and then back the passenger side? IIRC one of the Wranglers did anyway. You might ask him about that.

yeah, i've seen that yj exhaust reroute a few times.
I've not seen it done on an XJ, probably won't route in front of the oil pan due to the XJ's axle's narrow clearance with the oil pan sump.

The real problem is the angle the header collector dumps out.
Im beginning to think the transfer case and drive shaft belong on the right side. No chance of that EVER happening.

Why worry about it? Are you running a modified intake and aftermarket cam? A stock 4.0, even with a bored throttle body, isn't going to gain from going to 2.5" exhaust.

I just put an APN (ATP) header , and was looking at putting flexible exhaust coupler immediately below it, to keep the collector from being torqued. The motor mounts are tight, but they wont always be...But there's no room for the 2.5 inch pipe or the coupler, the axle will crush them both.

I got a deal on the 2.5 inch system, hopefully the powerband stays low with the larger pipes. We'll see.

I'm running a bored throttle body, and 2.5" exhaust all the way out (I have a tall lift and bumpstops, borla header) with a high flow cat and flowmaster.

I noticed zero gain high or low.

Why did I bother replacing the exhaust?

re-welded, re-cracked OEM manifold blatting away
warped, leaking front pipe to cat flange
pin-holed, rattling, leaking cat with 177k
leaking weld from cat to muffler
sagging hangers
very red eyes after every long drive.

I'm not trying to hot rod the mill, just trying to avoid CO poisoning!

I was not asking why replace the exhaust, just trying to point out that going to 2.5" is not going to show you gain. They did a good job with the 4.0 out of the factory.. throw another stock downpipe on and drive it. ;)

The muffler man gave me deal on a 2.5 system.
I agree, I doubt it matters either whether the pipes are 2.25 or 2.5.
Did you go with 2.5 inch hoping for better performance?

I tore my exhaust up offroad, got home and needed to replace it. Had a bunch of cash sitting in paypal and found a guy selling 2.5" catbacks on Ebay fairly cheap, including cat and flowmaster. Later I got a deal on a borla header that was 2.5" down to the cat flange. I wasn't looking for performance persay, just sorta walked into both setups.

Back