• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got floor mats....

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
PULL THEM SUCKERS, My XJ has pretty much been parked other than the wife using it during the week for the past 4 or 5 weeks. Decided to clean the tuffy mats and vac, clean the interior. Drivers side floor was pretty damp under the mat, probably from snow getting tracked in. Letting it dry out now. This is normally the weekend I pull the slush mats and put the materiial jeep mats back in.

I have the Jeep slush mats in. Cleaned my interior out for the first time since the fall and my stock carpet looks brand new underneath

I don't understand the concept of a carpet interior - but I may see the benefits.

The DUMBEST thing I do not understand at all is WHY do some mats come with carpet? Sure they are rubber on the bottom....but the top of the mats is carpet. Why the hell?

Trying to protect carpet by using carpet seems rediculous.

easier to pull them out and wash...exactly why my carpet under the mats is in 4 pieces now...new ones on the way once I get the leaks pinned down, yay!

Right but why do some mats have carpet ON them?

I'm not arguing the concept of the mat but I do argue the stupidity to put carpeting on a mat itself....instead of completely rubber/plastic/whatever besides fabric.

Blaine B. said:

I'm not arguing the concept of the mat but I do argue the stupidity to put carpeting on a mat itself....instead of completely rubber/plastic/whatever besides fabric.

To soak in the melted snow/water thats on your boots.:dunce:
Ever try to pull out a solid rubber mat thats loaded with water.
Wayne

I've got a nice little water leak that floods the drivers side floor board every time it rains now (to the point where the carpet can't hold any more water....borderline a lake on the floor), so mine get pulled about every weekend so the carpet can dry.

Nothin like smellin while on an hour highway trip!

Blaine B. said:

Rubber mats are for slipping on and hurting your manhood! I hate rubber mats! It probably wouldn't be soo bad if the heep wasn't lifted but with the lift, rubber mats suck. That is the reason for carpeted mats.

I like the carpeted one for some noise reduction and the floor does not get quite so hot as it does with the slush mats. Just ordered a new set from jeepsareus yesterday..Got to order new slush mats too, noticed that the ridges on the drivers side cracked all the way thru the material, thats how the water got out.

Some days I feel like they should have sold this vehicle with removeable plastic floors, no carpets and nothing to rust...

I gave up arguing with my wife about thirty years ago. Told her the rubber mats in her XJ were a bad idea, her answer was, I don't want to get the carpets dirty or wet. I just welded three thumb sized holes up on the passengers side floorboard, in her 96. My 88 has no floor board rust. I pull the slush catchers out every night. When the carpet does get wet, I put a medium thick stack of newspaper under the mat, to absorb most of the water during the day, in the winter. I use every warm winter day available to air out the XJ.
I favor coconut fiber mats in the warmer months, evaporation is your friend.
She had a plastic cargo tub in the back to protect the carpets, I finally talked her into removing it.
If the carpet padding was a non absorbing synthetic, many of the floor rot problems would disappear. I think they make the padding out of recycled diapers and old socks.

Last edited:
Back