• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some guidance in replacing t/c chain -242

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Hi There,have an 89 xj 4.0,a/t,np242, t/c chain is skipping and rubbing,time to replace it. Never had a transfer case apart yet, Any special tools required? Gasket between the case? or can someone point me to a write up somewhere? greatly appreciated!:guitar:

check!snap-on!Is there a gasket between the halves?

I replaced to chain while transfer case was mounted in Jeep. There is no gasket - just clean up the halves and RTV.

I ended up rebuilding the TC after some time - due to running in water, vacuum sucked in alot of foreign material.

I have same year & model. I own no snap-on tools (not much of a wrench).

Seems like I found some links to other sites that show a rebuild. Might have been for a 231 but still good info.

Drop the rear axle, take the rear cone off, then use the snap ring on the retainer.

Some different bolts in some areas, one on top that you cant see very well.

Running out of battery - good luck!

Good snap ring pliers, note the order they come out, no gasket, RTV, usually black is what the SYE kits include. Pay special attention to the oil pickup/pump tube, get it wrong on reassembly and you will be going back in again. We have done alot of TJ's, usually lift parties and generally pull the TC and put either on the floor or bench and install the SYE kit. Never tried doing one still installed.

Back