• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE help...

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Okay replacing my 242 with a 231. I should have my PORC HD SYE on Monday.

Anywyas going from memory (5-6 years ago) I have started to tear down the 231. I am just starting and at this point:

n.jpg

Pulled the rubber boot off the output shaft and the metal cap off the tail cone and now unbolted and loosened the tail cone. When I pull on the tail cone all the internals come with it and it won't slide off, so do I now need to split the case or what? I know I'll eventually need some good snapring plyers too. Just any help on this would be great.

ZachMan said:
Okay replacing my 242 with a 231. I should have my PORC HD SYE on Monday.

Anywyas going from memory (5-6 years ago) I have started to tear down the 231. I am just starting and at this point:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/BigNutt/n.jpg

Pulled the rubber boot off the output shaft and the metal cap off the tail cone and now unbolted and loosened the tail cone. When I pull on the tail cone all the internals come with it and it won't slide off, so do I now need to split the case or what? I know I'll eventually need some good snapring plyers too. Just any help on this would be great.

I'm going off memory too... isn't there a snap ring behind that seal (rear output seal)? You might check Opie's site: www.opiebennett.com
Billy

EDIT: Yup, under the seal...
http://www.opiebennett.com/images/Jeep/D4-ford9-swap/Day 15/IMG_3936.JPG

Got the seal off gotta get some snapring plyers tommorow.

Also do XJ np231 vary for trannys or no? I was looking at the above article and noticed he talks about differences in Wrangler autos and manuals.

Last edited:
ZachMan said:
Also do XJ np231 vary for trannys or no? I was looking at the above article and noticed he talks about differences in Wrangler autos and manuals.

Yes, the input can be either 23 spline or, I believe 21 spline. I think it has to do with whether it's out of an auto or manual.
Billy

EDIT:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm said:
The important variations to look for in the 231 transfer case are in the input gear. The 231 comes in 21 spline and 23 spline versions with long, medium (rare) and short variations.

The long shafts protrude 2.1" from the front mounting face of the transfer case. The short version protrudes 1.2". The rare medium shaft protrudes 1.7". You should be careful when swapping any of these gears due to different bearing widths and gear teeth. The following chart shows how to determine which input gear you might have by transmission. It is always recommended to verify first hand if possible.
21 Spline 23 Spline
Short Input AW4 (through 1990)
AX4
AX5
Peugeot BA 10/5 (earlier)

Earlier (pre-'95) AX15
AW4 (post-'90)
Long Input

Later (post-'94) AX15
TF904
TF999
Peugeot BA 10/5 (later)
Medium Input Jeep ZJ's '93 to '95 only

Because of differences in the cut of the gear, as a general rule; one should not interchange pre-'95 gears with post-'94 gears. These years are not hard and fast delineations. If one is not absolutely certain, disassembly and inspection is required.

Note that some transmissions change spline count. The Peugeot BA10/5 had both 21 or 23 splines. The AW4 had 21 splines through 1990. In 1991 (the same year the 4.0 HO was introduced) the AW4 splines increased to 23.

Hmm...

I saw an older 231 from a 5-speed with a short input and a later one from an auto TJ with a long input. My case is from a 00 XJ (tranny unkown) and going in my 99 aw4, and this case I have has a "medium" length input....just making sure it will work in my auto. Its not as long as a TJ auto input

Last edited:
tcase.jpg

Compared to those in the link it look medium length?

That trans end you show looks just the same as my extra 242 so they must be alike for the AW4 no matter the year. I am by no means an expert here, just compareing mine with your picture of yours.

Thanks, yeah I saw somewhere that all 97+ t-cases have the same input.

Just noticed you are in Birmingham so go ask the Alabama expert "Benny" at Hesco. That guy knows everything.......not kidding.

Back