• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power window

beraad44

NAXJA Forum User
im trying to fix my power window on my 98 xj sport and im having some trouble. when i took the door panel of i saw this cable hanging out . what is it and what do i need to do with it. the motor is fine bc you can still here it running. please help me
:rattle:
S5000555.jpg

Are you talking about the one that looks clipped off or the long one dangling out the exits the picture on the right?

Do you have power door locks?

I had this same problem. The motor is fine, but in the engineer's great wisdom, they decided to use plastic gear teeth to raise and lower the window! The motor and this cable are all one piece... I searched all over the internet for this part, but ended up buying it at the dealership for like $125.00 bucks!~!!! But they are now on ebay for around $100.

Ahhh yes, quite the familiar site....a busted window regulator in a 97+ XJ.....been there, done that.....three times.

You need to replace your window regulator. Dealer should have them in stock as they are very prone to breaking on the last generation XJ. I paid about $100 per regulator at the time, but i've been hearing that they're about $200 now at the dealer....give them a call and see what they got and what they're goin for, then go from there.

As mentioned, the motor is fine, but it's the crappy regulator that snapped. And because they're one big piece, you have to replace everything.

beraad44 said:
so there is only one way to fix this and that it to replace the reg. and motor(which are made to gether)

Correct. It is my understanding that the replacements are supposed to be a better design than the OEM's, but I personally didn't and still don't see a difference. Matter of fact, when my drivers side let go, the replacement I got brand new from the dealer snapped the minute I went to test it out after installing......not a good day for me that day.

Back