• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions about factory installed off-road package

It consists of tow hooks, skid plates, a 1 inch lift, rear limited slip differential, and maybe an auxilary trans cooler (not confirmed) and maybe a larger radiator too.

I have a '99 Sport that has the Up-Country package. When I bought it a couple years ago I immediately noticed it seemed to sit higher than other Cherokees, and at first I thought maybe somebody had played with the suspension. Aside from that there's no rear swaybar, and I have a tranny cooler as well. However the skid plates are missing, and I assume a prior owner took them off and threw them away. Is there anywhere that I can look to buy replacements? I don't want uber-duty aftermarket, I just want my factory parts back!

Blaine B. said:
It consists of tow hooks, skid plates, a 1 inch lift, rear limited slip differential, and maybe an auxilary trans cooler (not confirmed) and maybe a larger radiator too.
plus - the rear sway bar deleted and a full size spare.

Look for factory skids on the NAXJA For Sale Forum, eBay, or some of online parts places like www.allchryslerparts.com

Okay, now I'm a bit confused. I assumed the skid plates look like the ones on my old Chevy S-10, which were big flat 1/4" thick plates that covered up much of the drivetrain. I see a sheet metal cover over my fuel tank, but I can't tell what the other skid plates are supposed to look like. Does anybody have pictures of what the factory skid plates all look like, and how many are there supposed to be? I'm a little too embarrassed to go to a dealer and ask one of their guys to crawl under my Jeep.

Sounds like the skid, at least for your fuel tank, is there. The rest of us without fuel tank skids have a piece of plastic around the tank. It's great for disguising dents in the tank.

Bzamora said:
Okay, now I'm a bit confused. I assumed the skid plates look like the ones on my old Chevy S-10, which were big flat 1/4" thick plates that covered up much of the drivetrain. I see a sheet metal cover over my fuel tank, but I can't tell what the other skid plates are supposed to look like. Does anybody have pictures of what the factory skid plates all look like, and how many are there supposed to be? I'm a little too embarrassed to go to a dealer and ask one of their guys to crawl under my Jeep.

all the cherokees have a gas tank shield, the "skid plate" for it is beefier. I dont have a good picture of my front skid, but you'll know its there, large metal plate below the bumper

I think I know what I'm looking for now, I'll take pictures and post them to see if I'm right. Thanks.

Better yet, I just found two 97+ XJ's in the parking lot at the local shopping mall this afternoon and took a quick peek underneath them. :idea: They didn't have what I have, so it appears I do have all my skid plates. :D

Bzamora said:
I see a sheet metal cover over my fuel tank, but I can't tell what the other skid plates are supposed to look like. Does anybody have pictures of what the factory skid plates all look like, and how many are there supposed to be?

3 skids. Front suspension, transfer case and gas tank.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Apparently, yes. Looking at it while installed it almost looks like it does double-duty as an undercar weedwhacker.

And that funny noise that you hear when accelerating on a right turn (from a stop), is the Limited Slip actually slipping... Junk.

Mine wore out at about 20k :mad:

Back