• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery

afjeep2082

NAXJA Forum User
I have a red top optima on my 94....the jeep has been sitting for almost a year....I have jumped it to start it and let it run at least once a month so things dont get too bad while it sits. now I am ready to start useing the jeep again and the battery doesnt seem to want to hold a charge anymore. I will jump start it and let it run awhile then let it sit, I checked the voltage, all was good at first but then it started to drain little by little. I did this with the cables hooked up and without to see if something might be drawing the power and it is just the battery. The optima is a little over 3 years old. I haven heard of these batteries going bad so soon so I just wanted to check and see maby after I drive it awhile the battery will regain it charge holding power?

If the battery was dead for a long time, sulfides can build up. Shocking it may help. Is it still under warranty? The red top I believe is a deep cycle-may not be the best choice...

Could it be that the alternator took a dump? (however you spell it) These batteries are good but with out an alt they won't last long. Lets hope its that simple, its cheaper than buyin a new optima. -Shaun

bfred said:
If the battery was dead for a long time, sulfides can build up. Shocking it may help. Is it still under warranty? The red top I believe is a deep cycle-may not be the best choice...

The red top is the "normal" battery. The yellow is the deep cycle...I'm pretty sure.

With it sitting dead like that, my guess is it's toast.

Sorry-my bad- red top is the regular one-Hopefully it's under warranty though. I've never bought one, but I here they are good about warranty issues...

i left my dome light on twice and ran it all the way down (red top) what sometimes works, is to charge it with a low amp charger, say 6-10, and leave it on for 10-30 hours, watching the draw of course. when it reaches, and holds approx. 12.8 volts, it should be good.worked for me.

Back