• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reccomend me a good driveline shop in LA

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Long story short there's something going on with my new front axle and I've got no idea how to diagnose it... I installed the 4x4 posi lok, and when I have that engaged and put it in 4wd the jeep basically grinds to a hault... yes there's fluid in there, I'm wondering if it might not be a 4.11 geared front, or if the housing is bent.

Any help is appreciated, I've wasted a month of saturdays trying to get this damn thing working and I'm still without 4wd.

Update

Replaced the shift fork with a cast iron one.... the old fork had broken in that last big clunk I heard.

However.

I'm back to my originial issues. The 4wd Is working, and the posi-lok works, however it makes a noise when engaging, and while I'm in 4wd the Jeep pulls to the right and makes a whining/binding noise. This is while driving (or attempting to) drive straight. I noticed that the collar for the disconnect was stuck all the way right, and it took some serious prying to get it to move.

I'm positive at this point the issue is with the axle. I also get a slight death wobble from the rt front at around 40mph.

Whats the best course of action on this? What part is likely causing the problem?

could it be a hub going bad? jack the front end up put it on jack stands and see if you can turn/lift/shake etc each wheel and compare. then do it wht the posilock in the locked position and see what changed

I have a one piece right fron axle with big u-joint for $40. It sounds like there might be something in the axle tube that is binding up when you move it. Maybe some part or debris from the original failure?

I've jacked it up and can't find an issue when the Jeep has no resistance on the front axle, locked and unlocked. This issue occurred before the failure as well.

IslanderOffRoad said:
I've jacked it up and can't find an issue when the Jeep has no resistance on the front axle, locked and unlocked. This issue occurred before the failure as well.
if you can't figure it out, Coast Driveline in Ventura is a really good shop, I also may have a spare longside 1-piece shaft. Good luck
Chris

Before heading down to a shop I'd take it to one of us first to give a look, sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can see the one little thing you've been missing...

I think I still have a spare long side disconnect setup, both the intermediate shaft and the outer. I'll poke around a bit this weekend if I have some time and verify for you but if you need it it's yours...

If you weren't so far away I'd offer to drop by and check it out but, well, get outta the sticks ;)

PS - If you're going to the valley meet and greet a few people will be there, myself possibly included, and we can scratch heads...

IslanderOffRoad said:
who set your ring and pinon? have you pulled the cover to see how its all moving? my final idea is check your Ujoints maybe one is going out on ya?

Gerr said:
who set your ring and pinon? have you pulled the cover to see how its all moving? my final idea is check your Ujoints maybe one is going out on ya?

The factory set them, its a stock 4.10 axle from an 89. I've pulled the cover, everything is moving fine, no debris. I haven't checked the U Joints

You're positive it's a 4.10? What were the numbers on the ring gear? I think my said 41 10 or something like that. If you have the cover off, you can spin it and see. If this axle came from somewhere else, it could be any gear ratio, don't just go by the tag on the housing, or that it came out of a 4cyl jeep. With that said, are you sure the rear is a 4.10? If everything is spinning free, and when you put it in 4wd and everything binds, it sounds like mismatched gear ratios. All your tires are the same size/brand right?

Tires are same size and brand

I bought both axles off of a fellow board member, he had been running them under his Jeep which was totalled in a rear end collision. I helped him pull them off that Jeep so I know they've been used together.

Jeep works fine, I'm retarded.

Just a reminder, don't test your 4wd on pavement. Did a run on some dirt today, works fine.

Gerr said:
You jack ass. why didnt you mention that before?

because it wasnt an issue when I had 3.07's and a non-disco axle, so I thought that was normal.

Back