• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some U joint help

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I have a 91 XJ with 205k on the clock. The front u joints look like they have been around for everyone of those miles so much so as the caps look to be fused to the yoke.

I have tried pressing them out with a c clamp but they wont budge. Anyone have any other inventive ideas that I might try???

Ok might be a dumb question, but can I drive around without the shaft in place or will that mess things up?

Axle shaft or drive shaft? You can drive with out your driveshaft, but cant without the axle shaft, unless you run the outer stub shaft through your'e hub (it will cause hub failure without a shaft to keep it toghether.

Use a hammer and some sockets to remove a ujoint, unless you have a press or a good vice.

axle

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/axle/ujoint/

Did you remove the clips on the inside of the joint?

I use a 18mm socket on the hammer side, a 32mm-36mm on the floor side and a 4" block of wood on the spline side to keep the shaft level. Use the biggest hammer you have. Installation is pretty much reverse of disassembly

Last edited:
take the parts to a shop to have them press it out. If that isn't going to work, try heating it up with at torch, and there is the method I'm going to first, use a bigger hammer. I am going to attack my passanger side early tommorrow, but I've been spraying mine with WD-40 for a few days now.

Yeah I took out all the clips going to go find a BFH and try that

try a vice. push with a small socket over one cap and through a large socket, larger than the cap itself, until it pops out.

what a sweet tool that is! expensive, but sure would be better than beating one out with a log perched on a rock on a trail! that could be the best 120 bucks spent when wheeling. do you need anything else besides that and a high lift jack?

ditto on the bent ears - just did that to mine the other day. tried to change them after 6 years - they were rusted solid and after gooning up one i stopped. i ended up ordering new Spicer shafts. now i know :)

Homebrew - im thinkin your 91 has the smaller 260x joints (if they've never been changed)?? if u want to consider an upgrade to the larger 297x joints, i searched all over and best price i found was $305 plus shipping from Rustys. fyi..its a complete assembly (inner/outer shaft and joint already assembled)

good luck man

Back