• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serpentine belt

AfricaXJ6

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys;
My belt was a shortened one because the aircon compressor was bypassed.
Now the aircon is replaced and the aircon shop put in a longer belt but they used some used belt.I now have a squealing and squeeky noise when i start the vehicle; it seems to be softer when i rev the engine.But the noise returns when it is in idle mode.

I have insisted that the shop replace the belt with a new belt which is approved by a jeep dealer.

any thoughts or sugestions.

PS: The air con shop indicated that the compressor is fine and nothing wrong with the bearings.

regards
collin

More than likely they did not set the tension correctly. The old 'twist it a 1/2 turn' works out to about 90lbs of tension. A used belt [one run more than 15 minutes] needs to be set to 160lbs, a new belt [one run less then 15 minutes] is set to 190lbs. The only way to check it is with a tension gauge, NAPA makes one that fits in your pocket for about $15US.
One of my customers who has a repair shop did not believe me, he just happened to be doing 3 jeeps that morning, two water pumps and an alternator. He had his guys set two of them the normal way and he did the third. I checked them with my krikitII and they came out about 100lbs. He bought 4 gauges that day.

Back