• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimming more for 35s...

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I trimmed my fenders about a week after I bought my Jeep bone stock. I left the front fenders like the rears with the one tiny little lip to one day bedline so they match. Well 2nd day on 35s and they rub when turning full lock pretty good. So my plan is to trim some more from the lower rocker portion down off the back of the front fender. I have a few questions about this:

1. I cut to the first lower fender bolt (theres two, see pic) and I am now going to have to cut to where there is just one bolt left if I want to keep 35s, my question is how much flimsy/weaker will this make the fron fender only having one bolt?

2. Don't long arms (TNT in particular) pusj the front axle forward some? Can you push it forward say 1"? I wonder because I have the kit, just not mounted cause I am swapping in a np231, etc.

fender.jpg

In all honesty I am still thinking with my 4.56s, stock axles and lockers I need to go back to 33s, but I don't know yet. I don't rub any with 33s though off or on road.

mines cut to about where you want to cut. 34's on 3"
the fender is noticeably flexier, but it doesn't flap around at highway speeds or anything.

Rubicon Express drop brackets.

It will push things forward just a bit, and give you a better ride, without breaking the wallet.

This is with drop brackets installed and a 35 stuffed.

DSC00886.JPG

also, it looks like your pinch seam for the inner fender is still vertical. cut and bend that sucker before it eats a tire.

Stuffing a pool noddle in between the open space right in front of the door latches makes the fender less floppy and keeps junk out of your door hinges :)

Yeah I got to push that pinch sea mdown, no issues on 33s though. I may drop to 33s again looks like more bumpstop, more trimming, more worn parts, etc...I got the tires for nothing so I may break down and buy new wheels and some MTZs finally, lol.

cal said:
Rubicon Express drop brackets.

It will push things forward just a bit, and give you a better ride, without breaking the wallet.

I got stiffiners and plating under the Jeeps unibody, I'd take alot of work to get RE Drop Brackets on, plus like I said I got TNT LAs waiting ot go on after the t-case swap.

ZachMan said:
I got stiffiners and plating under the Jeeps unibody, I'd take alot of work to get RE Drop Brackets on, plus like I said I got TNT LAs waiting ot go on after the t-case swap.

I misread that as asking IF TNT LA's would fix the issue, sorry.

You can push the axle forward a half inch or more with the TNT setup and acheive the same thing.

4.56's and 35's isnt horrible, you might want to upgrade your front shafts depending how hard you are on the skinny. Steering parts will wear out a little faster, but a better steering setup is a good idea anyways.

I'm lying. 4.56 and 35's was horrible, I went 4.88 after 2 months.. but I have a non HO.

cal said:
I misread that as asking IF TNT LA's would fix the issue, sorry.

You can push the axle forward a half inch or more with the TNT setup and acheive the same thing.

4.56's and 35's isnt horrible, you might want to upgrade your front shafts depending how hard you are on the skinny. Steering parts will wear out a little faster, but a better steering setup is a good idea anyways.

I'm lying. 4.56 and 35's was horrible, I went 4.88 after 2 months.. but I have a non HO.

I got one ton steering, just stock knuckles. I found a TJ d30 with the "super 30" kit and ARB and 4,56s, thinking of grapping the 30 spline stuff and selling the rest. Not sure alot of $$$ for 1" of ground clearnce and I am the guy buying a np231/hd sye, etc to gain 1" of GC over my perfectly good 242, lol.

cant answer the long arm question. but as far as the flimsy fenders concerned, i have trimmed alot on mine. 3 times now and finally happy. i have found that there is not enough fender left to be flimsy. the more you trim the stiffer it gets. i also used some trailer edge trim to line the rough edges and i think that helped stiffen them up a bit as well.
100_0845-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey i just put a 4.5" lift on my 94 cherokee and i need to trim it for 33s what tools do you use and how much trimming is needed also i want to remount my stock fenders and i was thinking of apoxying them on what do you think

TERRYSXJCO said:
Hey i just put a 4.5" lift on my 94 cherokee and i need to trim it for 33s what tools do you use and how much trimming is needed also i want to remount my stock fenders and i was thinking of apoxying them on what do you think

Thats what size lift I have. Fpr the front trim till there is just a little lip or even above that for the fender to be completly flat. For the rear you gotta use the cut and fold method, cut slits between the pinch welds and use a rubber mallot and fold 'em in.

I'd not suggest anytype of glue, lol. I'd bolt the mon or something. Search for a user named 53guy, he trimmed and moved his flares up, its a pretty old post so don't give up, lol.

TERRYSXJCO said:

This is a 4.5 rubicon with 33's....however mine are 33x10.5's..and i didn't reuse the flares
DSC03793.jpg

^^ Thast odd, I swear the bottom of my rear rocker is 1" over the top of the wheel and the front is even, hmm.

Dude, that Pool Noodle idea is actually pretty damn cool...I had been looking for something to fill in that gap left behind after trimming and removing the fender liner....awesome! Thanks for that tip.

Old pic, RE 4.5" and 33x12.50s:

xj1.jpg

35s:

352.jpg

(Before) cuttin a sharp turn:

rubbage.jpg

After:

myjeepside.jpg

Didn't want to cut too much as I will be back on 33s soon enough.

Back