• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Blue paint on block? Reman? What do I have?

1bolt

NAXJA Forum User
This is in a 147k Goverment Surplus Vehicle that's never seen a mod in it's life. The head and block are both a dark blue, and their's an "OK" paint markered on the head right at the front head bolt near the T-stat housing.

What makes this not, cut and dried, is I got it with a complete maint. history, every oil change, every repair... but no mention of a reman'ed or rebuilt Engine.

Does anyone know if Jasper commonly painted their blocks and heads with dark blue paint?

I have a black painted factory 2000 block, but out of 5 4.0's I've got, Only one is blue.

What year? Chrysler did paint their blocks Blue (light to mid-Blue IIRC) during the 70's but by mid to late 80's they went to black like everyone else.

It is refreshing to see the new SRT8 Hemi's coming out in the Hemi-Orange like the 60's.

But I'm thinking, since its was a fleet vehicle, it has fleet arranged parts, probably a rebuilt engine dropped into it at some time.

We had a bunch of M880's [dodge pickups] in our unit, the original engines were black, they were used to run communication huts mounted in the bed. I'd have my engines running for hours at a time and had a few puke, some of the replacement 360's were blue, some were black, this was 79-~82. Color seemed to depend on who did the engine replacement, the depot or brigade maintenance. I think the black were crate motors from chrysler and the blue ones were rebuilds.

Back