• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel spacer question?

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Right now I'm at 3.5" lift and on stock wheels and 30's, no rubs, good flex, tires are just too small. I do not have the stock LCA's any more, I'm running Currie adjustables.

I want to go with 31's or possibly 32's with my stock wheels but run wheel spacers(SpiderTrax 1.25) to give me 4" BS.

I do not want to trim! I do not mind doing some bumpstop adjustment.

Will this work with out losing too much of my flex.

Be honest!

I ran 32's (x11.5) on a 99 w/ 4" backspacing and a 4.5" lift -- you will rub the fronts and/or rears of your flares when turning if you dont "nip"/trim a little. The wheelwells are simply too small to accomodate 32's w/o more lift, or without more trimming on that backspacing.

edit - if you had a 32x10.5 you MIGHT be ok...

Last edited:
I ran 32x11.5's with 4.5" of lift and stock wheels, and barely rubbed at all.. just on the control arms.

dsc00434.jpg

dsc00435.jpg

Damn, I haven't looked at those pictures in ages. I forgot what it was like to have a strait body.

So if I want to go to 32's I'll have to lift it some. I'll probably just stay with 31's and I will be ok weather or not I use spacers.

The spacers would give a wider more stable stance but cost me $200, ouch!

Thanks for the advice.

Stuffing it should be the same at 3.5 or 4.5, as long as you use the same bumpstops. The rear might rub a little if you hit a bump moving fast?

I'd prolly stay 31's. Easier on the trans (until you regear) and easier on the front end. Going big is expensive.

I should also point out, I ran exactly the same setup on a 91 with no rubbing, as Cal indicated. The fenders/wheelwells on late model XJs are smaller than on pre-97 XJs by just a little bit.

xj-grin said:
I should also point out, I ran exactly the same setup on a 91 with no rubbing, as Cal indicated. The fenders/wheelwells on late model XJs are smaller than on pre-97 XJs by just a little bit.

I should have mentioned mine is a 96. I don't mind working on the steering stops and bumpstops I just don't want to cut it ...yet.

Back