• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low idle?

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
Well I climbed into my 93 XJ this morning to drive to work, but when I turned it over, it wasn't firing at all. It'd turn over like normal, but it wouldn't fire at all unless I touched the gas. As soon as I did, it fired right up but if I took my foot off, it'd just quit. So I fired it up again and sat in the driveway with my foot on the pedal idling it around 1000 for 30 seconds or so, then when I went to back out of the driveway, it'd idle low... at like 500ish rpm. It idled like that pretty much the whole way to work, but it slowly crept back up to normal by the time I got to work.

Any suggestions?

What about battery cables? I know my ZJ had a crap cable going from the ALT to the battery, and you had to idle it high to keep it running. After letting the guy at napa have a piece of my mind for giving me a "bad battery" I had to go back and apologize cause it was the cable.

Good luck on finding the problem. My 89 XJ does the same thing....but it starts after 10-15 sec of cranking (with no extra help from the gas pedal). I just wish I could find a good answer to the *very* low idle....maybe your EGR??

Back