• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NOOB Here!

rebeltruce

NAXJA Forum User
Hello fella's,

Just bought a 2000 Cherokee Classic 4.0 Auto. Was driving a Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 for about 3 years, and decided I'd never own anything but a Jeep so far as SUV's go.

My Grand Cherokee has 200,000 miles on her and recently had a major issue with the AWD system, so I parked it until I get it figured out.

Needed a new vehicle and was fortunate enough to have a friend who is the Controller at a local Northern Va. Jeep/Chrysler dealership. They got the 2000 Classic in on trade. It has 77,000 miles on the odometer, and seems to run perfectly. A couple things I've noticed:

1) I seem to have to crank it for awhile when starting it cold. After it's warm it seems OK. I have a 3 month warranty, so if this is abnormal I will take it back rather then mess with it myself just yet. No gas smell or anything like that it just seems to take a bit more time then I am used to to start.

2) I hear a low tone "wah, wah, wah...." noise at low speeds from the ass end. I'm reasonably sure it isn't tire noise, I know what that sounds like. Something to be concerned about?

3) Not a big deal here, but I am missing a center hub piece on one of the wheels.....are they available out there in the aftermarket? Bone yard perhaps?

I am pretty good with a wrench, but like I mentioned have a warranty, so I'd like to take advantage of it before having to get my hands greasey.

This is a great forum, I look forward to learning all about this truck.

Thanks
Truce

1. Not sure how to fix this issue. maybe time for tune-up??
2. Sounds like you might have rear-end issues....does it come from one side or another, or just generally in the rear?? Possibly wheel bearing issue....or something with one of your tires (rub, something in the treads, etc....)
3. Only problem I can see is that without that center hub cover, it makes it easier for dust/dirt/crap to get into the hub. That in turn makes them wear faster. You'll be OK without it, but you'll be better off with it.

BTW.....Welcome to the board

Back