• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux fan on at 230 deg. with new sensors

JersJeeps

NAXJA Forum User
96 xj with 4 liter and aw4. As title states, the fan comes on at 230 degrees, which is way too high. I know there are other discussions on this already, but most answers are "replace Coolant Temp. Sensor". Both my temp. sensors have been replaced. My fan used to switch on at 230, then switch off after about 30 seconds. After the Coolant Temp. Sensor was replaced, it stays on when hot which is good, but still switches on at 230 which can't be right?? My thermostat is new and a 180 deg. I know my gauge is OK, because I can watch the water temp. drop at 180 when the thermostat opens, then rise again to operating temperature. The engine temp. rises in traffic, and cools off when at highway speeds. Any thoughts?

That is normal for the OEM setup.

JersJeeps said:
I know my gauge is OK, because I can watch the water temp. drop at 180 when the thermostat opens, then rise again to operating temperature. The engine temp. rises in traffic, and cools off when at highway speeds. Any thoughts?

Might not be accurate at the high end of the scale. Wouldn't be a first.

I'm assuming that your getting the 230 reading from the gauge.
You might also plug in a odbII scanner that can monitor real time
engine readings and check the whether your gauge is reading correctly.
It's possible the pcm is seeing 210 and the gauge reporting 230.
Eddie

I thought the eFan is supposed to come on in the range of 216-218 degrees?

Did you buy the GAUGE sender from the dealership? I hear there's some calibration that's required between the gauge and this sender and that's why it's only best to buy it from the dealer. Just the gauge sender - the coolant temp sensor is ok to buy elsewhere.

Back