• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting Rid of that PITA Bendix ABS System!!!

Jeremy89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
[FONT=&quot]Well, it happened. The ABS on our daily driver '91 XJ kicked the bucket. Pedal is rock hard, nearly undrivable. I think I've read about every single message on this board that came up under searches for abs, bendix and antilock. Seems the consensus is to scrap the bendix abs and install a '95 or '96 model year manual system. Sounds good to me. Even if I were to have the dealer perform a recall on a truck that's 16 years old, I would still have the fear that it would go out again, probably at a very inopportune time.

So I'm off to the local junkyard... many XJ's to choose from. Hoping to find a '96 with the double diaphragm booster. I've looked over all the write-ups I could find on this swap, and I guess the only question I have for anyone who's removed one of these bendix systems is, what precautions should I take with the pressure on this system? One post said it could cause serious injury if not handled with care. What's the best way to remove without it blowing up in my face?
bendix.jpg

Assuming I can get this out without hurting myself, this should be a relatively simple procedure. The benefits of removing this POS system largely outweight those of abs!
Thanks all,
--:greensmokJeremy89XJ--
[/FONT]

You wonder what they were thinking when they decided on some of these ABS systems.

Gee, you could design the system to be completely integral with the brakes, and remove the redundancy of having 2 power boosters, and just use the electric motor power booster of the ABS. But, that would increase the duty cycle of the far less reliable and durable electric motor a thousand fold, and when it fails it will leave the brakes without power boost and require thousands of dollars to repair the brakes to any serviceable status.

Oh, the decision is pretty clear, huh, but hey they at least got rid of that pesky ultra-reliable and durable vacuum power booster that almost never fails even after decades of abuse and over use.

They saved a couple of bucks during production, but spent a 100 times over in warranty claims and lawsuits.

I doubt you'll ever see an ABS like this again. The others are fully independent systems, if they fail, the brakes continue to function conventionally without any problems.

If you don't see a vacuum brake booster and the car has ABS, RUN AWAY, DO NOT BUY.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/Cox89XJ/100_0067.jpg
I had the POS Bendix. I put a M/C and booster out of a 99 Cherokee Classic non-abs. Here is a picture.
On removing to old system. Just undo the brake line going to everything and don't mess with the canister. Get the perportionaling valve and what brake lines you can get while at the JY. I had to reflare a couple of fittings. Works great!

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Well, got all the parts from the junkyard... seems like this shouldn't be too hard. Unfortunately, my local yard didn't have any '95's or '96's. So out of necessity, I pulled a manual system out of a '90. The recipient vehicle being a '91, the system really looks like it should bolt right up, may not even need to change out the pedal assembly (I have it just in case). In the future I may try to find a bigger booster, but for now I just need it to stop.
After looking at the system, I assumed what Cox89XJ confirmed... remove the line, don't f**k with the canister. I'll try to post whatever progress I have made in the morning... along with any questions that may have come up along the way...
Don't think I could pull this one off without NAXJA!
--Jeremy89XJ:guitar:--
[/FONT]

OK. So let's say I want to remove that canister. Do I shoot it with a BB gun at a distance? I'm doing this swap this summer, and I don't want that darn thing in there. Is there any way to remove it?:dunce:

[FONT=&quot]Well, progress has certainly been made today. The bendix abs came out a lot easier than I thought. It took a little time, but if you pay attention to the other wires/hoses, etc.. as you negotiate the pump lines out. I read in one of the write-up they needed to cut the larger line into small pieces to get it out; I was able to easily slide it out from the left side after removing the two hangers securing it to the firewall. So with the abs system out, it was time to fit the booster to the firewall...perfect fit! Move to the interior... check the pedal / rod attaching point... exactly the same! So, the manual system out of a '90 is a perfect match for the '91 w/ bendix abs. The lines will take some work... I've spent about 4 hours today bending and double flaring lines, but eventually I got it all worked out. Tomorrow I will bench bleed the master cylinder, install, and bleed the lines. By days end this thing should be stopping again.
I also got my camera back this evening, so tomorrow I should have some pics of this project to share...
--Jeremy89XJ:greensmok--
[/FONT]

XJIDAHO said:
OK. So let's say I want to remove that canister. Do I shoot it with a BB gun at a distance? I'm doing this swap this summer, and I don't want that darn thing in there. Is there any way to remove it?:dunce:

[FONT=&quot]After you release the pressure on the abs system by pumping the brake approximately 50 time with the battery disconnected, you can remove the line that's labeled "High Pressure Brake Fluid" that runs between the pressure bottle and the abs pump on the passenger side. When you are ready to remove the bendix master cylinder/valve body from the firewall, remove the 2 screws on the valve body that the pressure bottle is attached too. Remove the entire assembly as one piece.
I will have some pics tomorrow, if that didn't make any sense.[/FONT]
--Jeremy89XJ:repair:--

Glad to see you are making progress. I actually have ABS too on my 90 and may swap out but the system has had all the peices replaced not too long ago and seems to work fine. Im actually swaping out rear end so im just going to pull the abs/batt fuse and swap in the rear diff. Will work fine with no abs assist.

oh and did you know there was a lifetime recall on all those ABS parts?? Just take in, they fix, no charge, and if ya talk a good game can get them to give you one of the new heeps till they are done. I love beating their stuff!!

Yeah, I know about the recall. I called the dealer for the hell of it and mentioned a '91 with an abs recall, he quickly told me they were booked for over a month before he could even look at it. Sounded to me like he didn't want to work on a 16 year old rig. Plus, even if I pushed them to do the recall, I would still be stuck wondering when that pedal is going to just stop working again, not something I want to think about doing 70 mph up the interstate.
--Jeremy89XJ:passgas:--

Well, all went pretty well. I started this project Friday, going to the yard and getting the donor parts. Spent Staurday ripping out the abs system and fabbing up the new lines. Because both me and my wife had to be to work early today, yesterday was rough, seemed like those brake lines just did not want to cooperate with me (fix one leaking flare, another would show itself). Finally, at 2:30am Monday, I rolled the Jeep out of the shop. Granted the pedal seems very light compared to both the former abs system and my '89 w/ a manual system, but I can only assume they will get firmer with time. Ignoring the light pedal, the thing will stop on a dime. Very responsive if you are accustomed to driving with manual brakes, they will lock up when you tell them too!
Well, other than my particular time constrint, the project was fairly simple, if you understand how the different brake systems work, and have some patience.
I'll put up the pic's when I get back from work tomorrow.
I need some sleep.
--Jeremy89XJ:flipoff:--

Back