• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front driveshaft only

amsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this might be a ridiculous question, but I have to ask. I'm installing a 4" lift on a 2000 XJ this weekend. It will be a while before I can get a SYE installed. Assuming I have vibes, is it safe to remove the rear driveshaft, keep it in 4-hi, and only run with the front shaft? This would be very temporary of course. It's my DD, so I can't have downtime.

When I broke my driveshaft I ran it in FWD only for like, 2 months. I even got cocky enough to bring it to speeds over 80kph, didn't harm anything. All it did was prematurly wear out the bushings in the front control arms which I replaced in an afternoon. Just did that and retorqued the bolts in the front end, since it acts weird when the front axle is pulling the jeep, instead of the jeep pushing the axle.

I've driven on my front driveshaft on several occasions, once to/from work for a week (50 miles each way). I wouldn't do it very long, but you can do it.

The vibes will damage the output bearings on the transfer case and rear axle pinion bearings.

I drove home from a run with a slightly bent driveshaft once, thinking the vibes werent that bad.. That was expensive.

Time is an issue for me, that's why I'm wanting to install this lift this weekend and do the SYE in a week or so. How much of a t-case drop can I install? If I'm putting on a 4" lift, can I drop the t-case 4" in order to avoid vibes? I don't plan on off roading it until after the SYE is on, so clearance is not a concern for me.

NO! No more than 3/4" or 1". .. but DONT DO IT.

Transfer case drops "twist" your driveline, pointing the transfer case down, and the engine up, which torques your exhaust in a shitty way and leads to cracked headers.

Just pul the rear shaft and drive in 4x4 for a week. Don't punch it, especially around corners or in reverse, and you will be fine.

Back