• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NON disco dana 30 axle question

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
It seems that my inner seals are leaking.it is a 95 housing with 88 hub bearings an knukles .i have a question.when i turn my wheels left an right.are the axles supposed to move in and out slightly?it seems to only leak when i am in 4x4 and am turning in corners.otherwise it doesnt leak.so are they SUPPOSED to move in and out as the wheel is turned? plus they are 97 tj larger u-joint shafts--my bad

Last edited:
I've seen them move in and out a hair on a few jeeps. Not sure if they are supposed to or not, but they do :/

TJ shafts are the same length as XJ shafts.

Them moving in and out a little would imply that the ujoint is not centered with the balljoints. Your sure you have the stubs torqued down correctly and that the unit bearing is seated correctly?

yes i did torque the shaft nuts and the uni bearing is fully seated.I think you are right about the centering thing.i have the greaseable tube end seals and the shafts are too high in relation to the center of the seals.I am using my original 88 spindles,unibearings,calipes ,rotors all on a 95 housing with tj shafts.I used all my original stuff cause it is all good an the donor 95 housing isnt that great(rotors pads,calipers) I still have the 95 spindles, ya think i need to use all the 95 stuff to get it to not leak anymore? i do have new seals ready to go in. I didnt want to change the seals only to find out i do have a problem and that they still leak.do you think i can use the outer spindles from the 95 with the 95 calipers an 95 rotors but still use my 88 uni bearings? uni bearings are like over $100 a piece new.or do ya think i can just use the spindles an calipers an pads for the 95 but use my 88 rotors an bearings?:twak:

The knuckle and caliper have to be paired together

The unit bearing and rotor have to be paired together

The year knuckle shouldn't matter? how are your balljoints? If its sitting too high, the knuckle may not be on the balljoint as tight as it needs to?

Is it the inner axle seal leaking or the tube seal?

yes everything is where it should be all the way tight to balljoints torqued to specs no play inbetween them iether.I have been an ase master tech for 19 years now so installation misshap isnt present,just posible parts interchange diffenencs.i did think it was strange that the seals werent centered -tube ends seals not inner- in relation to the shafts them selves. do ya think i can just use the 95 outter spindles and calipers with the 88 uni bearing an rotors?This is my DD an want to get the correct parts before i tear into it so i know exactly what combo will werk...like 88 rotors and bearings with 95 spindles an 95 calipers with 95 peads,, of course. I really do appreciet the effort you are tryin to help me on this situation,cal.

markaboo929 said:
yes everything is where it should be all the way tight to balljoints torqued to specs no play inbetween them iether.I have been an ase master tech for 19 years now so installation misshap isnt present,just posible parts interchange diffenencs.i did think it was strange that the seals werent centered -tube ends seals not inner- in relation to the shafts them selves. do ya think i can just use the 95 outter spindles and calipers with the 88 uni bearing an rotors?This is my DD an want to get the correct parts before i tear into it so i know exactly what combo will werk...like 88 rotors and bearings with 95 spindles an 95 calipers with 95 peads,, of course. I really do appreciet the effort you are tryin to help me on this situation,cal.

Yes, that will work. There are different unit bearings (different thickness) and different rotors (hat depth). If you have the right combo, the rotor will sit in the right spot. The calipers dont mount the same early and late, so you need calipers that go with the knuckles.

My tube seals used to leak grease too.. I changed grease and the problem went away ;)

Hrm. I'd pull the diff cover, and make sure the spring is still on both of the inner seals (on the inside). It sometimes gets knocked off when your installing the shafts.

so in more reality its realy just my inner axle seals leaking and only when I am in 4x4 due to them"torqueing".I just dont wanna put on the 95 knuckles spend the money for 95 calipers and pads ,just to have the axles still not centered with the tube end seals.I figure if i gotta pull it apart to change the inner seals that at the same time i need to use the 95 knuckles an calipers an pads.just dont wanna find out after the fact.I know I shoulda dun all my home werk first before i even put it all together an in my jeep.ya know how it is like a kid at x mas.

I can understand that. Homework not required, it should be fine as is, I can't tell you why they are sitting high.

First thing I'd do is pull the diff cover and carrier, look at the seals to see if the springs are still on.

ok heres whats up.I just mesured the 95 knuckles to the 88 knuckles ---same measurements where the hub sits and where the ball joints "seat" on them.should be ok there. I did notice on the tj shafts when i installed them that where the come to th yoke where the u joint is it tapers up to itwhere as the old 88 ones were just cut straight.I am not worried about the end seals sitting not centered as its only purpose is to help stop crud build up any ways.I think i will just change the seals inside at the carrier.cause i have new ones to go in anyways.I just hate to redo stuff i werk at a dealer ship as a tech,I have very littlecome backs if any so "fix it right the first time " is my thing.MOST of the time!!!!:roflmao: probably just bad seals..........

Back